indexphinger

I need a dictonary password crack...

17 posts in this topic

my thinkpad's boot password is 7 letters, numbers or symbols(?)

I cant get it open, I tried the most common ones, what would be a good password generator? I need to enter them manually.

I know some motherboards have a jumper somewhere near the BIOS that resets the CMOS.. others reset it when you short-circuit certain BIOS pins.

Edited by chown

I know some motherboards have a jumper somewhere near the BIOS that resets the CMOS.. others reset it when you short-circuit certain BIOS pins.

This site deals with resetting the bios passwords doing just that.

Either JTR or Passwords Pro can generate word-lists. I'm guessing you've already looked at this..

I cant get it open, I tried the most common ones, what would be a good password generator? I need to enter them manually.

I don't think you realize how many permutations that is. You'll be working for months straight without food or sleep before you hit on the correct password.

I don't think you realize how many permutations that is. You'll be working for months straight without food or sleep before you hit on the correct password.

Heh, I think I'll spend the $5 to dump the EEPROM.

There is a BIOS password cracking plugin for BartPE. You can find it under the plugin directory http://www.bootcd.us/BartPE_Plugins_Category/general/

Also, you can google lists of backdoor passwords, you may get lucky.

Edit: Manually doing this is impractical. There are 3,521,614,606,208 (aka 62^7, 3.5 trillion) possible codes for a seven char password containing capital and lower case letters and numbers.

Edited by Skunkworks

There is a BIOS password cracking plugin for BartPE. You can find it under the plugin directory http://www.bootcd.us/BartPE_Plugins_Category/general/

Also, you can google lists of backdoor passwords, you may get lucky.

Edit: Manually doing this is impractical. There are 3,521,614,606,208 (aka 62^7, 3.5 trillion) possible codes for a seven char password containing capital and lower case letters and numbers.

1. BartPE cant boot, locked at BIOS.

2. Sounds like a plan.

3. Ow.

Wow, even at an estimated 1,330,044,544 the entire Chinese population would have trouble with that one. I think the $5.00 EEProm beats a Chinese sweat shop any day. Anyway replacing the EEEProm will be a learning experience (it would be for me anyway).

I think short-circuiting random pins sounds like a fine idea!

This brings up something I've thought about before, how do you automate the input of dictionary passwords into this? You'd need to have a program running on another computer that reads what is on the screen (eg: is it saying "password incorrect" or something else) almost like ocr but a lot less advanced since there's only three possible things the bios lock says, some way to power cycle the machine when it stops at three guesses, convert the password to ascii and send it out from the serial port to the ps/2, wire up the serial pinouts to the ps/2 mini din, not necessarily in that order. This is all hypothetically speaking, since it's must easier to just buy the password reader chip.

Edited by nintendo1889

This brings up something I've thought about before, how do you automate the input of dictionary passwords into this? You'd need to have a program running on another computer that reads what is on the screen (eg: is it saying "password incorrect" or something else) almost like ocr but a lot less advanced since there's only three possible things the bios lock says, some way to power cycle the machine when it stops at three guesses, convert the password to ascii and send it out from the serial port to the ps/2, wire up the serial pinouts to the ps/2 mini din, not necessarily in that order. This is all hypothetically speaking, since it's must easier to just buy the password reader chip.

$5 to build a little 3 wire reader...

:P

problem is, i cant find zener diodes.