Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twirlz

making a virtual machine from a physical machine

2 posts in this topic

I'm starting to play around with vmware and making a virutal network. I have vmware server and vmware esx server to work this. I also want to use this play around and maybe transition my servers into linux since they are windows now.

What i want to do is make a copy of my current setup and use it as a jump off for my virtual machines. I did look at vmware converter, but it won't let me make an image of my current computer to use. Is there something else that i could use to create an image file? or could i use the backup software i have now, make a back up, load this onto the virtual machine and have it work the same? I'm trying to get around the windows activation, i do have a legit copy it just looks bad to have me calling them two days in a row to activate a number of machines.

I've used vmware converter. It takes a while to make the vm image. Don't worry about calling MS multiple times. I've done it twice in the same day and even for the same license on the same computer (installation of drivers went awry). MS gets so many calls, they won't care about one more call from the same person.

vmware converter should work for you, you just have to save the vm image on a different HD as the one you're mirroring. I had to save it on an external hard drive. If you have any problems, let me know.