Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vivek.ramachandran

Reverse Engineering Basics Videos

10 posts in this topic

I will be creating videos on Reverse Engineering Basics over the next couple of weeks. The first 2 videos are available for

viewing here:

1. Using IDA to break Password protection in binaries

http://securitytube.net/Reverse-Engineerin...ns-)-video.aspx

2. Using Hex editors to uncover passwords

http://securitytube.net/Reverse-Engineerin...ds-)-video.aspx

feedback and request for video tutorials are welcome!

Thanks,

Vivek

Nice videos ....

I requested the Assembly Primer!

Meh, they are decent but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone seriously looking into learning reverse engineering. There are much better tools than a hex editor to find strings stored in a binary (strings being one of them). The IDA video just seemed kind of pointless. You very very briefly went into any real explanation of what was going on and instead just patched the process to not jump. You already found the password on the stack so there was no reason to even bother patching it because in many instances this can actually cause the process to run incorrectly if the programmer has implemented security to stop reverse engineers. An assembly primer just seems like a waste of time unless you are going to go in depth and really cover it in multiple videos. You are better off just buying a good book (such as professional assembly language) if you want to learn ia32 assembly.

Meh, they are decent but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone seriously looking into learning reverse engineering. There are much better tools than a hex editor to find strings stored in a binary (strings being one of them). The IDA video just seemed kind of pointless. You very very briefly went into any real explanation of what was going on and instead just patched the process to not jump. You already found the password on the stack so there was no reason to even bother patching it because in many instances this can actually cause the process to run incorrectly if the programmer has implemented security to stop reverse engineers. An assembly primer just seems like a waste of time unless you are going to go in depth and really cover it in multiple videos. You are better off just buying a good book (such as professional assembly language) if you want to learn ia32 assembly.

I realize that they are not technical, I thought it was nice introduction on breaking down binaries. I have never looked into reverse engineering. But anyways if I really dove into it, then I would by a book on assembly for that platform.

But yeah I know what your saying........

I thought they were nice. Hope to see more :)

I understand your point, however the idea behind creating the IDA video with such a simple example was to help an absolute newbie get started. If i had started the video series with an example on how to crack winamp, i am sure most beginners would be lost. As you may be at an advanced stage i am sure the video would be have been too simple :) , however please understand that the end audience are absolutely newbies to the subject.

My idea was to first put something out there, get some feedback and then bridge the gaps by adding more detailed videos. In my experience RTFM does not work for everybody and most lose interest if first they have to go through tons of documentation before they can start on a subject. That's why i generally prefer to seed the process with something easy to do and then pick up momentum. You shall see this trend as i add more detailed videos in the Reverse Engineering section. However, i agree that there could be better ways to make learning happen. If you could recommend a different approach to covering the reverse engineering space, then we can discuss that and if it is better, i would be happy to follow it. My end goal is to help my video viewers learn :)

@schippystrich, @seal - Thanks for the encouragement! I plan to create an Assembly Primer shortly. Please subscribe to the site feed so you are notified when that happens. Also, feel free to write to me if you have any interesting video requests!

Edited by Vivek Ramachandran

I really like your tutorials Vivek,

It's nice to have good introduction to the basics, and you explain them very well.

Thanks for posting them, I watched 3 yesterday! :)

I really like your tutorials Vivek,

It's nice to have good introduction to the basics, and you explain them very well.

Thanks for posting them, I watched 3 yesterday! :)

Thanks! I am glad the videos were useful to you. I would encourage you to suggest new videos and features by using

the feedback tab on the securitytube site. I will try my best to incorporate them.

Seriously Vivek, keep these videos coming. They are all very useful!

I reallya ppreciate all those who make Vid Tutz !! :) Thnx Vivek !