Irongeek

HTC Touch Pro or wait for Sprint to get an Android phone

13 posts in this topic

So, I'm up for a new phone next month. I'm sticking with Sprint because of the SERO plan.

Should I wait for Sprint to get an Android phone, or just get an HTC Touch Pro?

So, I'm up for a new phone next month. I'm sticking with Sprint because of the SERO plan.

HTC are known to have a lot of software problems down the road but there very nice and sleek.

HTC are known to have a lot of software problems down the road but there very nice and sleek.

Don't knock the hardware manufacturer, knock the software vendor :0

I have a HTC Touch Pro with AT&T (company supplied). Over all, I like it. I noticed at times the interface can be a bit sluggish, but that's pretty rare. Right now, I'm trying to get WMWifirouter working on it (with no luck so far). Over all, it's a pretty nice phone. It has all your normal bells and whistles and over all I haven't had any problems with it. There's a lot of nice software out there for it and actually stability has not (so far) been a issue at all for me.

I have a HTC Touch Pro with AT&T (company supplied). Over all, I like it. I noticed at times the interface can be a bit sluggish, but that's pretty rare. Right now, I'm trying to get WMWifirouter working on it (with no luck so far). Over all, it's a pretty nice phone. It has all your normal bells and whistles and over all I haven't had any problems with it. There's a lot of nice software out there for it and actually stability has not (so far) been a issue at all for me.

i have a couple of HTC phones the touch diamond and the HTC touch HD, both of mine are unlocked so im not sure if youll have the same options on your, but you should have an internet sharing utility in your programs list. one very very useful app that you can install on your phone is advanced configuration utility, this will allow you to unlock tons of features that att and or htc has disabled, like gps taggin on your photos so you can upload them to mapping software later, memory useage, power usage, but more importantly for you it will let you configure which network interface your internet sharing app uses, this way you wont even need to use a third party app to use your phone as a wireless hotspot. i also use airscanner mobile sniffer for capturing all the traffic that flows through the phone.

edit: i forgot to mention that youll need to install .net cf version 3.5 on your phone for the advanced config utility to run.

Edited by l0lcat

A friend of mine has an Android phone. He likes it.

I've got a buddy with a HTC Touch Pro and another with the G1 both really enjoy the phones Myself I prefer Android but the HTC is a really cool phone as well. It's a toss up gotta go with personal preference.

I haven't done much research on the topic, but are there any decent phones out there that are open platforms? I mean, writing my own low-level software and having access to drivers and such. I could mod a phone for secure comms and other cool things if it were really open. That's why I'm checking out Android. I use AT&T. When we get an Android phone, I'm likely to go to work on it, stripping out everything unneeded and adding some extra's. Most of the fairly open Linux phones that I ran across had to use WiFI for voice. lol.

I haven't done much research on the topic, but are there any decent phones out there that are open platforms? I mean, writing my own low-level software and having access to drivers and such. I could mod a phone for secure comms and other cool things if it were really open. That's why I'm checking out Android. I use AT&T. When we get an Android phone, I'm likely to go to work on it, stripping out everything unneeded and adding some extra's. Most of the fairly open Linux phones that I ran across had to use WiFI for voice. lol.

windows mobile is still the most hackable mobile os. and usually sport the most powerful hardware specs. writing your own wm apps is trivial. that is if you can think of an app that hasnt already been done.

I was going to get a Windows Mobile phone, so it's good news hearing that. I did my initial research months ago, so there might be better phones out there by now. But I was originally going for the Motorola Q for AT&T. It had the fastest processor, a bunch of memory, latest version of WM, entire web sites dedicated to developing on it (and i have Motorola Tools), and a nice mix of business and entertainment features. Again, better things could have come out since then. It had a TI processor though, which could screw with some of my encryption algorithms. I would prefer something more established, with preexisting code, like x86, PowerPC, or ARM.

1. I though the TI chip was ARM based?

2. To my knowledge, the current Q is not touch screen and is only 320x240. Then again, it's less expensive than the HTC Touch Pro.

Thanks for the tip. I just checked out the HTC. It's pretty nice. It has better specs than the Q, but I don't yet know what kind of development support. I know Motorola's track record, but Qualcomm is new to me. I like how its a touch screen AND has a keyboard. That will make secure messaging easier and quicker, increasing adoption. As for the touchscreen, it's not really necessary. I prefer simplest implementation, as less code = less bugs = less security holes. I'm building a trusted computing base into the phone, and complexity is the enemy. ;)

As for the processor, yes the TI processor is ARM based, and so is the Qualcomm processor. ARM-based means its compatible with some models and not with others. Really low-level code can have trouble if the differences are too great, so I'm just exercising caution. Crypto algorithms are pretty picky, even having to consider endianness for correct functioning. The Qualcomm supports ARMv6 instruction set as its base, which is probably what I'll target. It's got a quick processor and a sh1tload of RAM, which is nice. Also WM. So long as they are easy to develop on, I might get a HTC Pro instead. Thanks for the reference. ;)

Edited by army_of_one

Since you plan to code your own stuff the Q style device my be fine for you. I just remember having the 1st gen Q and being disapointed that there was some mush software that required a touch scree to work right.