Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

Best way to remotely access a Mac

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have an old iBook G3 700Mhz running Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. As the battery lasts about 30 minutes and it has no wireless card, I cannot really use it unless I connect it to my LAN using a cable and plug the power cord. I would prefer to be able to access it remotely, but I'm not a big mac user and I don't really know what I could do. I can ssh to it, but I doubt I can forward aqua applications. I have tried googling XDMCP for Mac but I haven't found what I was looking for. What would be the best way to remotely access a mac? Either a full desktop or individual applications at a time is fine. Thanks to the mac geek who will help me out on that one.

I would say VNC, and right now I'm saying "ooo! ooo!" cause I want to point out that you should ssh into your mac and use the terminal command "say" to make it say stuff! :D

I just had to throw that out there....... it's so much fucking fun!!

VNC is the way to go for remote Aqua usage. I used it with a PowerMac G4 @ 450 MHz to play around with OS X. Also, you may consider adding an internal AirPort PCMCIA card, or an external USB 802.11 card to your iMac -- they're not too expensive anymore. If you have a PCMCIA 802.11 card that's supported under OS X and will fit in the under-keyboard slot, that will work too. As for the battery, they're not too hard to rebuild if you can solder.

search for my post on VNC repeater .. this works great for firewalls etc ..