Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
duper

URL Compactor Services

11 posts in this topic

I'd like to point out that using these is detrimental to the web in general. A link should take you directly to another resource. Tying your links to a third party only weakens them as any disruption in their service disrupts your links. In 5 years, how many of these will still be around? Will all my links on twitter still go anywhere? In the web, the links are as important as the content itself.

The fact that these even exist says something about how web sites are coded and how web applications implement links. Using twitter as an example again, if you posted a URL, why do they use the URL text as the link text? If they had simply used the URL as the HREF and used simply "link" as the text (or some markup to allow you to specify your own link text), twitter wouldn't be tied to these URL shortening services. Further, if sites had sane URLs for their resources, many URLs wouldn't need shortening. Why does (for example) a book on amazon have a URL longer than my address bar? Does it really need that? What's wrong with amazon.com/Some-Cool-Book/3939238? All they do it make it harder to link to their pages.

I only use these willingly to send links on IRC channels, where a long link would be disruptive. On twitter or something, I really have no choice. Just think before you use them, some people use them everywhere without thinking of the implications.

But anyway, I don't think anyone has mentioned bit.ly yet.

A few years back (Spring 2006), I had an article in 2600 called "Filesharing Using TinyURL.com". If anyone is interested and hasn't read it, I can dig up a copy and post it somewhere.

A few years back (Spring 2006), I had an article in 2600 called "Filesharing Using TinyURL.com". If anyone is interested and hasn't read it, I can dig up a copy and post it somewhere.

Now that you mention it, I certainly remember that one ;)

It's actually an image hosting site that makes a "tiny url" for images.