Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Colonel Panic

The DXers' pissing contest

4 posts in this topic

About 2 years ago, I DX'd a station on the island of Malta using my dad's rig in Northern Illinois, on the 50MHz (6m) band. Unfortunately, I never got a QSL card from the guy.

What's your own personal DX record? Give date/time, band/frequency information and post a scanned pic of any QSL card you may have from the contact.

I've picked up stations from Russia, Croatia, Tokyo, Brazil and somewhere in China from our mountaintop in WV. Most of those have been with my Heath Mohican radio (one of their first all-transistor general coverage receivers). I managed to pick up Brazil during June last summer with a single-tube regenerative radio I'd built. All of these stations operate right above or in the top end of the 40 M band. I believe the Cuban station was actually operating in the 40 M band as an amateur station, as it wasn't the usual Radio Cuba Habana (the state-run Cuban shortwave station). However, the tuning scale isn't calibrated on my radio anymore, and they never identified themselves as to frequency.

Not as cool as picking up an actual amateur transmission and being able to reply!

Edited by systems_glitch

I donĀ“t remamber the exact location, but about 5000km on 40 meters, with 100 watts and low inv. V

If i got the call correctly :P

A buddy of mine late last September worked John Day, Ore. from precisely here (platform behind Cascade Jr. High School in Vancouver, WA) on 462.5625 at 1 watt on a UV5R with a rubber ducky. Distance of about 140 miles or so under partly cloudy/smoky skies (which probably had something to to with it). About 1845 PDT.I don't remember the distant guy's handle but I think he said he was using an Icom and a yagi pointed toward the gorge. Buddy called CQ/GYEO and that was who replied. Think we had about 1-2 minutes of clear reception before he faded back into oblivion.

I think the smoke from the forest fires in eastern WA/OR increased the sky conductivity, improving the skip. Which was an interesting way to end a hard afternoon of bike riding/racing around Orchards and the lower east side. FRS/GMRS/MURS contacts in north Clark County and Mount St. Helens area (Ariel/Yale/Cougar/west GPNF) are pretty easy and common at that same spot and the paved area west of the main building, even at 1/2 watt from an unmodified crappy Talkabout. The campus is on the edge of a hill (the satellite picture doesn't show that very well) and has a very clear line of sight to the mountain.

(Historic footnote: this is very close to "Dead Loop" as listed in the phone book parody on the cover of "2600" 27-4.)