Seal

22-year old falls for Nigerian scam.

22 posts in this topic

http://www.windsorstar.com/Leamington+lose...3799/story.html

A Leamington man has fallen prey to international scam artists who strung him along for more than a year with the promise of millions in cash, but ultimately bilked him and his family of $150,000.

John Rempel said he quit his truck driving job, lost friends, borrowed money and crossed the globe in pursuit of a non-existent inheritance, after he was contacted by e-mail in what is known as a Nigerian 419 scam.

Rempel said he borrowed $55,000 from an uncle in Mexico and his parents gave him $60,000 on credit to cover fees for transferring $12.8 million into his name.

The guy is stupid. But it's still sad.

That is really crazy.

I do feel sorry for the poor guy but what the hell was he thinking to go along with that BS?

"You can't cheat an honest man."

Not that I condone scamming in any way, but the guy's own greed played a large part in his getting burned. Many of the 419 scams won't work on you if you're not looking to get easy money or something for nothing.

"You can't cheat an honest man."

Not that I condone scamming in any way, but the guy's own greed played a large part in his getting burned. Many of the 419 scams won't work on you if you're not looking to get easy money or something for nothing.

zz

zzZZZZZZZ*ZZZZzzizzzzznzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

There are no free meals. His own greed and stupidity played a large part. Much of this can be avoided if schools would simply teach "REAL LIFE 101"

Check this out: http://www.supload.com/listen?s=QFk1QL

It's an excerpt from a radio program that tells the story of a couple "scam-baiters" who manipulated a Nigerian scammer into a 1000-mile goose chase across two African nations, eventually leaving him stranded with no money or resources in a very dangerous, politically unstable region of Chad, near Darfur. The scam-baiters' goal was to trick the 419er into entering a Western Union office in Chad (a Muslim country) with a note saying: "I hate Muhammad, and Mecca is a hellhole. I love Israel. I love George Bush and want him to invade Chad. Muhammad is a demonic pedophile." Pretty incredible. They could have gotten the guy killed.

Edited by Colonel Panic

This is very sad, but the people who scammed him, sound like professionals....

I've received numerous emails from 419ers, and all I can say is; blah blah blah BLAH!!!

How about an attorney who fell victim to this: http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.as...1&catid=346

He apparently wired $3000 to a nigerian scammer.

'

I have used "lol" two times tonight, that's an odd amount for me, but seriously....lol

It's to bad there's not a picture of the attorney crying, that would "lol" worthy as well....

If you read the story, the attorney himself didn't lose the $3000. The scammers somehow obtained his email login info, then sent out a mass email to his friends and associates claiming he was robbed in Nigeria and soliciting a $3000 donation for "financial aid".

The story doesn't say whether or not anyone actually sent any money to the scammers.

Edited by Colonel Panic

If you read the story, the attorney himself didn't lose the $3000. The scammers somehow obtained his email login info, then sent out a mass email to his friends and associates claiming he was robbed in Nigeria and soliciting a $3000 donation for "financial aid".

The story doesn't say whether or not anyone actually sent any money to the scammers.

This very thing happened to my dad's buddy. My dad got an email from him, saying how he had been robbed while doing work in Nigeria (it happens that this buddy of his is involved in foreign affairs.) My dad called his contacts to get through to the buddy. Turns out, his friend's email account had been compromised.

There was a show on TV a month or so ago and this woman was taking electrical goods deliveries for this person she met through myspace. She thought 'he' was an international airlines pilot, hence why he needed her help as he was always out of the country, turns out it was a Nigerian scammer.

There was a show on TV a month or so ago and this woman was taking electrical goods deliveries for this person she met through myspace. She thought 'he' was an international airlines pilot, hence why he needed her help as he was always out of the country, turns out it was a Nigerian scammer.

This kind of stuff happens everyday, this is why I don't give my email address to just anyone...

If I was ever stupid enough to do something like that I wouldn't want it in the news. Show the whole world what a fool I am? No thanks.

Perhaps, him being "scammed" was just a scam. People do stupid things for a lot of different reasons. Maybe he thought he could get a lawsuit out of it, or maybe he wanted media attention. I don't know, but it seems too stupid to believe.

The issue here is many law firms receive legal notices today via email. So they have to accept all email. The issue is that many smaller partner firms and perhaps older partners are not experienced in these types of scam's and think it's a valid notice.

I had a much better story in my email box from the American Bar Association, I'll see if I can try to find a link to the article.

If you're stupid enough to fall for it, you deserve it.

There are no free meals. His own greed and stupidity played a large part. Much of this can be avoided if schools would simply teach "REAL LIFE 101"

I think I agree in a huge way, though, I do tend to side with collective responsibility enthusiasts.

Do you think that stupidity is inherent? Or perhaps due to lack of training? In either case, why do we jump to blame the individual?

It is a neat social experiment to examine life through this lens: what do people perceive as common sense? Flushing after you use the restroom? Bussing your own table at a restaurant? Knowing simple sums and basic literacy? And why exactly are these things 'common' sense?

I've seen numerous variations of the nigerian scams, over the years, they've changed a bit, but your first clue before even reading the email is look for the 7 figure dollar amount somewhere in the letter, than look for the country of origin; Nigeria or Africa, etc. and with just those 2 clues, you can make a safe, educated guess that, hmm, there is a 98% chance this is a SCAM. [delete]

Its amazing to me people are still being taken by this, but I guess if they never encountered it before, it would be new to them. And thats pretty much what the scammers are counting on, fresh fish never exposed to it. They say "a sucker is born every minute".. and 'they', who coined the term, were con men.

This was so stupid but at the same time I feel so sorry for the guilt this guy must have, it must be unbearable.

Its amazing to me people are still being taken by this, but I guess if they never encountered it before, it would be new to them. And thats pretty much what the scammers are counting on, fresh fish never exposed to it. They say "a sucker is born every minute".. and 'they', who coined the term, were con men.

PT Barnum? ;)

Edited by Seal

PT Barnum? ;)

Was it really P.T. Barnum? I heard that was a mis-attributed quote.

http://www.historybuff.com/library/refbarnum.html

Edited by Colonel Panic

I heard every single quote is often misattributed.

In reality, Voltaire is the guy responsible for almost any quote you can think of... except this sucker one.