Irongeek

Run a web service at home, but not dropping your docs?

13 posts in this topic

Hi all,

What I'm interested in is running a web service on my local home network, but not having to give out the WAN IP of my router. I know I can do this with Tor Hidden services (and maybe freenet), but that is slow as hell. Any other ideas? Any one know of a proxy service that hides the destination from the viewer?

i use no-ip for a domain for my web server.

Thanks, but Isn't that just a DNS provider? Ultimately, they would still know you true network identity (aka:ip). I don't want them to be able to got, "oh the web cam is here so this must be the ip of his home router"

Could you just use a little tcp tunnel program that sits on another server and just tunnels the traffic between your home box and the client?

As lattera said, you can bounce the connection between your network and a proxy elsewhere.. but unless you are running some specific software needs or storing massive files / files you consider to be really confidential, why?

I would just host it at a third-party location unrelated to you, where speed won't be an issue for users and if you do it right, your identity isn't known.

SSH in over a few proxies you know to be safe, open local wifi, etc and the likelyhood of anything being traced backed to you drops further if that is a concern.

Free hosting, or paid hosting where you use a friends credit card and pay them back in cash might suit your needs?

Edited by jabzor

If I could find a place that lets me start up a netcat port forward, that would work, but I know of not such service. The webcap can't be hosted outside of my house if the video is from inside my house. I can FTP images up, but I wanted a live video stream.

If you have a close friend, have them set up a NetCat server and have NetCat forward the incoming data over SSH to your LAN?

I think that is possible....

Edited by schippystrich

Yep, it is, but then I dropped my friend's IP. :)

If you have a shell account and don't mind exposing its IP address, you can use something like a netcat proxy. You might also want to check out socat, which is more useful but harder to use. Also, even though you don't need encryption, you can do this with SSH. But all this requires a shell account with sufficient bandwidth and an TOS that allows this.

a quick google search reveals

http://www.onlinesolutions.net.au/shells.php

Never actually used their service of course, but $3 monthly, unlimited bandwidth and they claim a 100mbit internet connection, that should do nicely assuming their ToS doesn't prohibit netcat bouncing or anything like that.

Of course it's still a paid service so if you're using it for something... sketchy... it'd still have your name all over it. Of course I assume if you were doing something sketchy you'd just give yourself a shell account on some random system, y'know, without the whole paying and asking bit, so hopefully that helps.

Oh, if anyone has used them before and likes/dislikes, please post it, it's just the cheapest solution i could find in 30 seconds of googling.

What's wrong with simply securing your network? It should be secure anyway. Just forward port 80 on your router and drop everything else, (or forward it to the DMZ and run a honeypot just for fun).

Edited by chown

I think your only solutions would have you going through a third party.. You could use sshfs to mount a drive from home on a server somewhere, or do php includes to download files from home and have the content displayed to the user, Or setup a mirror that wgets everything from your box on a cron job... but i dont think any of those are what you're looking for.

What's wrong with simply securing your network? It should be secure anyway. Just forward port 80 on your router and drop everything else, (or forward it to the DMZ and run a honeypot just for fun).

Well, there is always 0 days to worry about, and there is no real way to protect against DDoS. Also, if you know someones WAN IP a quick Google search can turn up lots of info about that their. surf to if those website make their logs public.

I'm thinking most shell providers would frown on setting up a full time Netcat or SSH redirect on their box, but the only way I'll know is to ask.