Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seal

Woman drops out of college because MS Word didn't install

62 posts in this topic

[quote name='AldarHawk' post='337184' date='Apr 23 2009, 11:05 AM']However, Office 2007 saves in a file format you need to get an add-on for OpenOffice installed (in other words NOT OUT OF THE BOX) to open them. Word 2007 saves by default in *.docx format which you need to install odf-converter to make it work. Now most standard users do not know what the hell odf-converter is so please read up before posting these comments (no offense intended) because it is comments like this that make normal end users cry about Linux because they would think "but phasma said it would work and it is not *cry*".

Anyways, Yes OpenOffice is an acceptable alternative to most document systems.[/quote]

OpenOffice 3 opens .docx just fine "OUT OF THE BOX".

[url="http://marketing.openoffice.org/3.0/featurelistbeta.html#Microsoft_Office_2007_Import_Filters"]http://marketing.openoffice.org/3.0/featur..._Import_Filters[/url]

lol how frustrating is that.. theres always openoffice whis is easier to install..
[url="http://pretpersonnel1.com/"][color="#F3F6EC"][u]pret personnel[/u][/color][/url] Edited by singeroi

Or you can get Crossover and use MS Office on Linux. :D (This has worked well for me thus far).

Use a little ingenuity if you don't want to lay out about $25 for it.

too lazy to read as i dont care about some random garbage, but yeah if the class was actually ms word 101 openoffice wouldn't work inless it was exactly the same menu/interface as teachers atent all that smart, e.g. aalgebra 1-2 in highschool usually wants ti83 calculator. (in my school atleast) why? thats the only calculator they know how to use when you find out the whole class is like reading the 3-400 page manual on how to use it the person with the random calculator is like wtf what do i do. e.g.2 taking c++ class for visual c++ with mingw they are different. you cant teach some one to drive a stickshift when they have a automatic car.

[quote name='dinscurge' post='338593' date='May 13 2009, 10:06 PM']you cant teach some one to drive a stickshift when they have a automatic car.[/quote]

Um, yes you can. :huh:

[quote name='intimidat0r' post='338291' date='May 8 2009, 09:58 PM']Use a little ingenuity if you don't want to lay out about $25 for it.[/quote]
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that ingenuity wasn't this chick's strong suit.

[quote name='decoder' post='338667' date='May 14 2009, 02:54 PM'][quote name='dinscurge' post='338593' date='May 13 2009, 10:06 PM']you cant teach some one to drive a stickshift when they have a automatic car.[/quote]

[/quote]

He means you can't teach someone how to drive stick, using a car that has a automatic transmission. You can tell them what they should do, but without the clutch and gear shift to allow them to try...

You can't teach someone how to read greek using english books.

Openoffice is a good alternative but i don't know about you but whenever i open a MS office document in it the formating is always way off for tables/images and diagrams. This isn't so bad when your viewing it but if you save it and have to give it to someone using ms office then i becomes troublesome. For assignments i just save it as a pdf so it all stays the same but when you have to group work ect then it becomes difficult. However as the college was open to accepting these formats (which mine certainly is not) then this just seems really silly. Don't know if anyones checked back on the article but i find the backlash by ubuntu users quiet hilarious.

Lol, couldnt she have got some geek to pirate a copy of XP and supe up her comp a bit?

jeez, shes a girl, she could have got curvy on me and I would have done it for free :P

hehehe just sayin.

[quote name='chaostic' post='338996' date='May 18 2009, 02:21 AM'][quote name='decoder' post='338667' date='May 14 2009, 02:54 PM'][quote name='dinscurge' post='338593' date='May 13 2009, 10:06 PM']you cant teach some one to drive a stickshift when they have a automatic car.[/quote]

[/quote]

He means you can't teach someone how to drive stick, using a car that has a automatic transmission. You can tell them what they should do, but without the clutch and gear shift to allow them to try...

You can't teach someone how to read greek using english books.
[/quote]

Oh, that's what he meant.

Now, if only you could go and translate [i]all[/i] his posts into understandable terms... ^_^

[quote name='IndexPhinger' post='340051' date='Jun 2 2009, 02:30 PM']jeez, shes a girl, she could have got curvy on me and I would have done it for free :P[/quote]

I don't know how old you are, but I still think some advice would be useful...

If you are the guy who does that stuff for girls, you will [b]never[/b] get laid. ;)

[quote name='decoder' post='340074' date='Jun 2 2009, 06:20 PM']Oh, that's what he meant.

Now, if only you could go and translate [i]all[/i] his posts into understandable terms... ^_^[/quote]

Sorry. My stint as Captain Obvious was only a seasonal job.

[quote name='chaostic' post='340158' date='Jun 4 2009, 12:09 AM'][quote name='decoder' post='340074' date='Jun 2 2009, 06:20 PM']Oh, that's what he meant.

Now, if only you could go and translate [i]all[/i] his posts into understandable terms... ^_^[/quote]

Sorry. My stint as Captain Obvious was only a seasonal job.
[/quote]

I don't know how anything in that dudes stream-of-consciousness posts can ever be described as obvious. :blink: