Seal

Windows Betas

7 posts in this topic

I'm interested in testing out the Windows 7 Beta. Question is: do these betas expire? As in, after a predetermined time of being installed on your computer, does the beta OS purposefully stop functionning?

Yes they always expire. The MS site where you download the beta should tell you when.

Two weeks from release. Which was friday. Unlimited downloads, so grab a couple keys :D

Yes they always expire. The MS site where you download the beta should tell you when.

Thank you. I found it on their site:

Watch the calendar. The Beta expires on August 1, 2009. To continue using your PC, please be prepared to reinstall a prior version of Windows or a subsequent release of Windows 7 before the expiration date. (See installation instructions.)

Can't you just reset the clock on your PC or run it a virtual machine to bypass the expiry?

Can't you just reset the clock on your PC or run it a virtual machine to bypass the expiry?

No, because it's not completely based on local time, it's part of the Windows Activation Mechanism. Now I suppose that if you set your BIOS clock back and disconnected your machine from the internet, it would run.

But seriously, I'm upset enough when the internet connection in my car stops working... I don't know what I would do with a disconnected windows box.

I remember with XP the Beta expired but the keys would work in the full release. I wonder ig they fixed that with 7?