Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tasburrfoot

ZetaBoard exploits?

2 posts in this topic

Hello there, im not entirely new to hacking(Only been involved for around 5/6 months). I started after I began doing web design for myself, as well as for my school, and started to notice people exploiting my servers/networks. Anyways... as that is completely irrelevant my actual question :P

Are there any known Zetaboards exploits? I used to know of a few for invisionfree, but zeta seemed to fix all of the old ones :o

Thanks in advance.

3. DEFINITION OF "HACKING"

Hacking is about production, not destruction; it involves curiosity, research, analysis, knowledge, the creation of new ideas, the discovery of amazing breakthroughs, and the sharing of information with those who will use it responsibly. Hacking is not illegal activity. The Digital Dawg Pound and the Binary Revolution Forums will not take any responsibility for your actions, nor do we condone any sort of illegal activity, especially in the name of hacking.

The type of answer you'll get here won't be a "yo dude, this is how you exploit them" kind of answer. You're also coming close to the "intent" issue.

There may be vulnerabilities, but you're going to have to find them yourself. Were this a piece of open source software, some vulnerabilities might be listed in one of the databases or by searching the mailing lists. However, it's kind of hard to tell what they're running.

If you wish to explore their software, there are many avenues. Since it looks like you can't get a copy to run locally, you can poke around with the interface they provide. For each function on the site, there will be a number of parameters. Just playing with these parameters and seeing what you can get to break can tell you quite a lot about their software. However, if they notice this they might just block your IP address, but that probably won't happen.

What you get out of this will be relative to your understanding. If you don't understand how web applications work, you probably won't get much out of that at all. I suggest you learn a language like (and I shudder to think I'm saying this) PHP. Code your own forum software. Identify the problems you faced in implementing it to get an idea of the problems faced in implementing zetaboard. Read up on the vulnerability types and good coding practices. Try to anticipate any mistakes they may have made in implementing zetaboard.

Then again, if you were just asking if zetaboard is going to get hacked and all your forum posts deleted, I can't say. It's possible someone out there is probably poking at zetaboard how I described right now. If they find anything, they could exploit it to these ends. I'd stick with open and tested forum software (such as Invision) run on your own system. It's not as expensive as you think, web hosting is dirt cheap these days. There are some risks running it on a shared hosting plan though since the security of your software may be relative to the security of everyone else's software running on the system. You'd probably be pretty safe as long as you keep the software updated though.