Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
orion1

number portability question

9 posts in this topic

Dear Phreaks and other Knowledgers :

If one knew an old house land line number formerly used in the past was currently not in use,

how could one obtain and port that number to a cell phone without living in the right prefix area?

I wanted to get this old number where we used to live and use it as my cell phone number.

I planned to change my land line to that number and through number portability transfer it to a cell phone and possibly delete the land line.

I have not obtained the land line number or a cell phone I planned to have as that number. I live outside of the area to change my land line to that number and could only get that wanted number to forward to my current number for a stiff monthly fee according to my operator.

I doubt you could ask a cell phone company to get a certain number for you if it was formerly a landline number. If a friend of mine in the right area could get the land number, he could transfer the account to my name later or something? Any input appreciated.

If you gave up that number you may be SOL.

If you still have a house in that area you can try to request that number again and have them give it to that house (will cost about $46 for setup fee)

Use that number for 1 month and then you can transfer it (still will be out about $96, but you will not have to pay a "stiff" monthly fee).

If you do not have a house in that area, I do not think you can.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your relpy. A friend of mine owns a house in that area but I do not. Could I pay him to take the number and transfer the account to my name without living there?

If so, I could then port the number to a cell phone and cancel his landline and shorten the favor?

And still keep the number?

I'm assuming you're not dealing with any CLECs (small telcos), the rules don't apply to all of them.

If you live too far away to be able to request the number on a land line, than you live to far away to port the number to your cell. It's called LOCAL number portability. Now assuming you still live in the same LATA, and could have the number, your problem will be getting the number back. Most telcos don't like giving vanity numbers for regular local exchange numbers. If you're using a different telco than you are SOL, unless you can get your buddy to do it for ya.

If you think it might still work, let us know what carriers we're talking about.

To find out what LATAs are involved go to bell's mind and look up your old number, and the your new neighbors number. If the LATA numbers are different, than forget it.

You do not need to live in the area. Get a service called "Remote Call Forwarding" from the telco.

The issue is, will they let you obtain the number (be it for landline or RCF service). There seems to be a recent crackdown on "vanity" numbers due to the 1000 block breakdowns (NANPA is assigning NPA-NXX-X these days...)

I would think you'd have a hard time getting a vanity number, though it'd be asier for a business customer. Assuming it's possible though, you could have your friend get the old number back for you, and then establish cellular service, porting that vanity number over to the cell phone. Eventually, your friend could probably transfer the cell phone into your name.

Thanks all. (916) numbers with AT&T probably holding the wanted landline number then. 2 different , separate landline prefixes that don't overlap into each other. Wanted number vs. existing AT&T landline and Metropcs cellphone. MetroPCS

can't port land line numbers to cell they claim, only cell numbers from other cell phone carriers to their phones. I thought if the number was ported from a landline to another cell phone, then metro could do it. Do you suppose they would allow a friend to transfer the phone account to me without me living there, maybe by saying I am there a lot or something? Or is that a no-no? Such as having to have bills there to own the account for that number in the geographic area?

I asked about call forwarding and AT&T said I could forward the wanted number to my landline at $40 bucks a month. So I did not try it. They said the expense would be because of the 2 separate prefixes. Can u forward a landline number to a cell phone, and would it be cheaper?

I will ask AT&T, but am curious of your response as well.

Orion

If your friend doesn't mind there's no issue with that. Think parent and children or unrelated roommates... im sure they install 2 accounts in different names all the time.

But as I said above, skip the landline. Get remote call forwarding. Number is setup instantly, no setup fees (ok.. maybe there is but it might be $20 vs $50 for a landline), etc, etc.

Here in former Bellsouth-land it runs $18.50/month + tax, total bill about $22 for a single call path.

If I get call forwarding, they said it would cost like $30 a month with AT&T. This is in 916. That's quite a jump from my usual $8-$10 landline bill without the forwarding. A question is, would the number show up on anything with call forwarding?

With forwarding, someone would have to know the number , could call the number and it would be routed to another number? The typical way of exchanging friend's numbers nowadays is not to write it down but to call each other and get it in the phone's recent memory. If I call someone, they will not see the call forward number, but the other number where the call finally arrives?

If I get call forwarding, what could this be used on? land-line or cell phone?

I have at&t land line, metroPCS cell in 916.

Orion