Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PirateKing15

Weird Screen at Startup

26 posts in this topic

Just a few minutes ago I restarted my computer and upon rebooting it came to this screen...

DSC00768.jpg

I have never seen this screen before. Do any of you know what it means? In case it is important, I am running Windows XP SP3 on this box.

Edited by L33T_j0sH

Wow, it looks like something is dumping all the memory registers. Perhaps malware of some sort is attempting a heap overflow and causing some sort of kernel panic. That is my best guess.

'

EDIT: google "cy nozr heap overflow" it looks like it is trying do d/l something and replace ntldr. I'd avoid using IE on that site.

Edited by tekio

I have been suspecting malware of some sort for a while. I am having HUGE problems with bluescreening from errors in the RAM as well. I just bought this damn computer. It came with 2 gigs of Crucial Ballistix RAM and ever since I have had it I have had problems. I need some new RAM.

I googled that phrase. Only one hit came up. I don't know what it means though. When I click the link it tries getting me to download an ntldr file. I didn't of course. I really would like to find out why this happened. This is the first time and it hasn't happened since.

Also, I have two instances of Apache.exe and an instance of IEXPLORE.EXE. I don't know what they are and they automatically restart when I close them out.

EDIT: Found the problem. Memory is bad.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-...windows-xp.html

Edited by L33T_j0sH

I just bought that RAM. I love what it does to my gaming :D

IF you do have to buy new RAM (looks like it to me) you should buy Gskill or OCZ.

I have close to no problems with these 2 brands.

just my thought.

You should use Vista SP1. You'll get less malware because it has more security features.

EDIT: Hey, does that happen during your POST?

Edited by duper

hate to say it, you have a bad memory sector. new ram

Whoa there. Before jumping to conclusions at least do a memory test.

http://www.memtest86.com/

http://www.memtest.org/

well yes, but i'm just saying every time i see a trap error that low its been the ram. something higher i would say video card. but yes run a memtest and make sure your ram is seated all the way in.

hate to say it, you have a bad memory sector. new ram

Whoa there. Before jumping to conclusions at least do a memory test.

http://www.memtest86.com/

http://www.memtest.org/

well yes, but i'm just saying every time i see a trap error that low its been the ram. something higher i would say video card. but yes run a memtest and make sure your ram is seated all the way in.

Agreed. That's RAM IMO too. Since you were the only person to say try reseating another obvious may have been missed (IDK if 2GB means two 1GB sticks). If it does, run with one stick, and try the other stick, then do the same thing swapping repective slots. You may have only one bad stick and/or slot leet_josh.

I saw that screen once on an older box I have. I ended up taking some rubbing alcohol and a few q-tips.. cleaned the hell out of the contacts on the RAM, and on the sockets. Then all was good. Maybe I got lucky. dunno.

First of all, no need for Memtest. It is the RAM. The Crucial Ballistix RAM is shit. I do not recommend buying it unless you want to take a very big chance of having to RMA it a few times before you get good sticks.

@PurpleJesus - I will definitely try that. I hate having to get all new RAM when this cost so much.

I ran Memtest when I first got this computer just to make sure the RAM was good and of course it had a few errors. It has slowly been getting worse. I didn't want to admit it until now. I hated the thought that the new computer I got had bad RAM. Also, another reason I know it is the RAM. Quite frequently programs crash and I get lots of bluescreens because of this RAM. It seems that sometimes when the programs load into the memory they get fucked up and run badly or crash, or worse, crash the computer.

I saw that screen once on an older box I have. I ended up taking some rubbing alcohol and a few q-tips.. cleaned the hell out of the contacts on the RAM, and on the sockets. Then all was good. Maybe I got lucky. dunno.

Thank you soooo fucking much dude. You just saved me from having to get new RAM. I decided it was worth it to just go ahead clean it, just in case. And sure enough, not a bluescreen or any other type of error since. My computer runs a lot better as well. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. :P

Thank you soooo fucking much dude. You just saved me from having to get new RAM. I decided it was worth it to just go ahead clean it, just in case. And sure enough, not a bluescreen or any other type of error since. My computer runs a lot better as well. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. :P

It worked? Great.

Just curious: how does memtest compare now to when you first put the ram in?

It worked? Great.

Just curious: how does memtest compare now to when you first put the ram in?

I haven't tried it yet. I will let it run while I sleep and tell how it goes when I wake up.

Alcohol and Q-Tips? I thought you were supposed to use pencil erasers..

Well, I ran memtest. The results:

1 error

Tst-- Pass- Failing Address---------- Good-------- Bad ----- Err-Bits---- Count---- Chan

4____ 0__ 000001177f4 - 1.4MB fbee1d66 fbee3d66 0000200_____ 1

I might try the pencil eraser. Maybe I can get rid of that last error. I ran the test 3 times and the same error every time.

Edited by L33T_j0sH

It was probably just a re-seat that did the trick. It's not very common for anything substantial to build up on the RAM module contact that require cleaning. Unless you spilled your drink inside your computer, that is.

One thing that does happen (apparently) is oxidation. This is the "old computer won't boot" syndrome, a computer that's been sitting for a long period of time will inexplicably fail. If you take out the RAM and expansion cards, then put them back exactly as you found them, it'll magically work. The explanation I always thought made the most sense was oxidation or some other kind of buildup on the contacts to the RAM modules and expansion cards. Vibration from the running computer usually prevents this from happening. No idea why it really happens though.

Then again there are also just flukes and demon machines, which will work only when they feel like it. Maybe one of your RAM sockets is slightly defective, and the contact wasn't making contact. Maybe you had something on your finger when you handled the RAM module putting it in. Maybe there was a piece of dust or pet hair (or human hair, for that matter) in there. You'll probably never know what happened. Maybe re-seating or cleaning the RAM had nothing to do with it being fixed, but it sure did appease the tiny gods that live in your machine.

It was probably just a re-seat that did the trick. It's not very common for anything substantial to build up on the RAM module contact that require cleaning. Unless you spilled your drink inside your computer, that is.

One thing that does happen (apparently) is oxidation. This is the "old computer won't boot" syndrome, a computer that's been sitting for a long period of time will inexplicably fail. If you take out the RAM and expansion cards, then put them back exactly as you found them, it'll magically work. The explanation I always thought made the most sense was oxidation or some other kind of buildup on the contacts to the RAM modules and expansion cards. Vibration from the running computer usually prevents this from happening. No idea why it really happens though.

Then again there are also just flukes and demon machines, which will work only when they feel like it. Maybe one of your RAM sockets is slightly defective, and the contact wasn't making contact. Maybe you had something on your finger when you handled the RAM module putting it in. Maybe there was a piece of dust or pet hair (or human hair, for that matter) in there. You'll probably never know what happened. Maybe re-seating or cleaning the RAM had nothing to do with it being fixed, but it sure did appease the tiny gods that live in your machine.

Yeah. I figured it could be something like that because it was working fine before I got it home and disassembled it for examination. It is running fine now except for that one error in the memory. Which doesn't seem to be having much of an effect on performance. Thanks everyone for the help. Especially you PurpleJesus. Even though as Ohm said, it was probably something in there causing it. I never would've checked if it weren't for you.

Any errors in RAM are unacceptable. If you still have an error, you still have a big problem. You need to track it down.

Any errors in RAM are unacceptable. If you still have an error, you still have a big problem. You need to track it down.

Oh I plan on it. But right now I need my computer for something. I will find that last error later today. For right now I'm just glad I'm not bluescreening. I am going to try taking an air duster to everything in the case tomorrow. Think that will work?

Edited by L33T_j0sH

Probably not. Take the RAM modules out and blow air directly into the RAM sockets. Dust anywhere else won't cause this problem. Clean it out anyway though, that can never hurt. In fact, I just did this to a machine today. It's surprising how much dust can build up in there..

Probably not. Take the RAM modules out and blow air directly into the RAM sockets. Dust anywhere else won't cause this problem. Clean it out anyway though, that can never hurt. In fact, I just did this to a machine today. It's surprising how much dust can build up in there..

That's what I meant. But I figured that while I'm in there I might as well clean everything else.

EDIT: Also I figured I'd ask this here instead of starting a new thread...

Every time I try to boot the Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop live cd this happens. I don't know why. do any of you know why?

DSC00774_1.jpg

Edited by L33T_j0sH

I seem to remember that happening when I boot the live CD as well. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

I want Linux though. Preferably Ubuntu. It never boots. It just keeps doing that.