Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
olracdor

about the movie swordfish

16 posts in this topic

is there a real/similar software like the one used in the movie swordfish? or its fake, just to make hugh jackman cool?hehe, it seems like a 3D application for creating a worm

probably not. its a movie. no one would watch jack whats his nuts bang on keyboard and drink wine to a coded screen.

Pure fiction.

Is fictitious.

It wouldnt make much sense to make an extremely complex program for hacking and then throw a useless gui ontop of it.

probably not. its a movie. no one would watch jack whats his nuts bang on keyboard and drink wine to a coded screen.

I would

Wuzn't tehre a clip of da comput0r crackqxzering the enkryptionz wif n-gram calculation?? That's semi-realistic, I suppose..

EDIT: nvmd th@ wuz Sneakers!1#

Edited by duper

Unfortunately, Fyodor coding Nmap on the big screen for two hours is not going be a big box office draw.

You expected a movie that had this:

post-1317-1230930168_thumb.jpg

...and this:

post-1317-1230930181_thumb.jpg

...to reflect reality?

Unfortunately, Fyodor coding Nmap on the big screen for two hours is not going be a big box office draw.

At least nmap itself made it to the big screen in one of those Matrix movies..

You expected a movie that had this:

post-1317-1230930168_thumb.jpg

...and this:

post-1317-1230930181_thumb.jpg

...to reflect reality?

Hey! Thats what i got when i hacked the gibson. (i know, wrong film but meh)

Also die hard 4, bourne ultimatum, 13:game of death, battle royale the listening, and something called Haxxxor: No Longer Floppy

http://nmap.org/movies.html

So it is possible to have something real on the screen without boring the shit out of the people watching.

when i hacked the gibson.

Leave my avatar alone!!

Wrong gibson :P I actually didn't know who your avatar was for a while, I'd never seen what he looks like. It wasn't until I saw his wikipedia page until it clicked.

And just who do you think they named the supercomputer after???

None other than the father of "cyberspace".

Also die hard 4, bourne ultimatum, 13:game of death, battle royale the listening, and something called Haxxxor: No Longer Floppy

http://nmap.org/movies.html

So it is possible to have something real on the screen without boring the shit out of the people watching.

But that isn't real hacking. Nmap is there for a brief second because it features words in its interface that make people think "oh, something super computer-y" and then the character faces a few "access denied" screens before being shown "access granted." You're not going to see a guy ping a system, portscan it, see what services are running, research vulnerabilities, launch said vulnerabilities, fail, do something else, come back, try another route, etc. You're not going to see that because hacking has a magic-like quality to the world. When people think of hackers, they have this perception that they can magically break into systems of their choice. It isn't so, but they don't know that, and they would be bored/confused if they saw a bunch of screens they didn't understand for minutes on end. So most directors just consign a few seconds of screentime to the act of hacking, prefacing it with the statement of "oh I/he/she is hacking", and then presenting the audience with (sometimes semi-accurate) screencaps of stuff like nmap. The hacker succeeds in short order, and the audience keeps on following the plot. That is not real hacking. Sure it may have included a screencap of something real, but it was not real hacking.

Some movies did it right. Takedown, for instance. And what did the screenplay/director focus on? Not the interactions with the computer, but rather on the story around it. In fact, you never really saw the hacking being done, so it retained its magic-like quality. It also prevented the audience from being lost in the flurry of computer screens. And that's the way to go. Because of that, they were able to explain what was going on, and even technologically-illiterate audiences were able to follow what was happening. But movies like that were not targetting the general blockbuster audience. No explosions. No deaths. It would never be able to make the mainstream American theaters.

Edited by Seal