Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zandi

ipod touch hacking/jailbreaking

15 posts in this topic

well, i traded in the nano i got for christmas (plus some extra cash from me) and got an ipod touch. now i'm trying to hack/jailbreak it, and not having much luck.

at first i couldn't even find much info on jailbreaking a touch without having to run a program on a mac, or windows (i'm running linux at the moment). then i thought i found the perfect solution (jailbreakme.com) but it only works on version 1.1.1 ipods, and i have a 1.1.5, so i searched the web for methods to downgrade. all i turned up was a youtube video that was deleted by the uploader, and unanswered questions like mine.

anyone here have any experience doing this? any links? anything?

From what I've seen there really isn't a big scene of iPhone/iPod hackers who use or care about linux. Most of the people involved in the jailbreak and unlocking groups develop for os x and then create windows versions because they can either sell it, bring in advertising money, or just attract the tons of windows users who have iPhones/iPods.

What about using wine or running a VM of Windows/OSX to run the apps you need?

well, i went ahead and jailbreaked it. after some more googling i upgraded to 2.2, then jailbreaked with quickpwn, which worked perfectly.

i looked real quickly at rockbox, which doesn't support the touch, and i wasn't looking to put linux on the ipod, just get more functionality out of it. as for running the tools in wine, i didn't want to risk it. quickpwn explicitly says it's not guaranteed to work/supported in virtual environments, and i didn't want to risk running it under wine when i could just use my dad's laptop. i was just looking for alternatives because i didn't want to go through the hassle of using his laptop (but did anyways).

well, now that it's hacked, and i've got cydia and installer, what sort of things can i do? anything i should immediately install? any good/interesting wifi tools, or emulators? where should i go now?

This is what I don't understand, there are so many people who just want to jailbreak it because they can. It's one thing to do it if there is something specific you want to do with it that you can't, but what's the point in jailbreaking it and then asking what you can do with it now that it's jailbroken? Why not wait until you know it needs to be jailbroken before doing it? It's not like you did anything new or special, you downloaded, installed, and ran some other persons application not knowing what it does so that you can have it be jailbroken.

Well, some people don't like dealing with itunes. Itunes is very resource demanding, and can be slow. Some people prefer "Drag and drop" Mp3 players, and can appreciate some of the ipod qualities. It's really all personal preference.

openSSH is good to have if you plan on adding and removing things. Also you might want to look into getting the cracked MobileInstallation file for putting cracked IPAs on it. I don't know if it comes with it or not but the BSD sub-system is important.

I'll check out the bsd subsystem thing, but I'm not entirely sure what it is or why I'd need. I guess I'll have to check it out. Right now I've got a terminal emulator, and have loads of fun playing with that already. I'm having problems getting the ssh daemon running though, but I'll fix it eventually.

No MobileInstallation doesn't get installed when jailbroken. You'll have to add the source to cydia. While your at it add d.imobilecinema.com for flash support it's still in beta but better than nothing.

No MobileInstallation doesn't get installed when jailbroken. You'll have to add the source to cydia. While your at it add d.imobilecinema.com for flash support it's still in beta but better than nothing.

I added the imobilecinema source, but do you know the URL for the mobileinstallation source is?

anyways, i've got to say jailbreaking this was a great idea. the ssh daemon is working fine, and so is the client (tested on my friend's server). i like Cydia more than installer, and so far i've mostly installed various tools through it. I've got curl, nmap, netcat, doom, an NES emulator, and even a little shell script I wrote to grab a random futurama quote from the internet. In fact, i might see if I can code anything for this. I've got ssh access and a terminal emulator, so the biggest problem would be compiling for the ARM architecture. it can't really be that hard, but i don't know how i'd do it either. overall, this was definitely worth doing.

You can get the MobileInstallation file off of the internet. You have to put it on the phone with openSSH