theGoldfinger

Wanted: Hackers for reality based docu drama

59 posts in this topic

A well known TV production co. in NYC is in the development phase of a new hacker TV series. This isn't for internet TV, this is for real TV. As the co-producer of this project, I'm looking specifically for teams, or groups of hackers that act as a unit, working together on various projects, but most specifically doing security penetrations for third parties/companies.

This is a great opportunity for a team of hackers (Lone Gunman style) to take their day to day activities and translate them into their own show. It goes without saying this is a great opportunity for the right group. Unfortunately for the purposes of this show, one lone hacker will not work. Neither will 2 hackers. Its gotta be a team, which consists of 3 or more guys that work together on various projects. Thats what the executive producer wants, therefore thats what its gotta be.

The requirements are simple; You must be a hacker, or if not, be a computer savvy member of the team. You must be part of a team that consists of 3 or more people. Hopefully you have a company or even a corp. structure, but that doesn't mean I expect them to have offices and lots of resources. I'd be satisfied with 3 guys working out of a basement, with an LLC, and a van full of electronics. As long as your getting paid gigs, security penetrations, or what have you, you will meet my criteria.

Meeting my criteria is the easy part. Once I have some candidates, I'll pass you on to the associate producer who will then screen and vet you. Please believe me when I say they will find out if your really doin it like you say, and if your not all that, they'll know. So please, if your not getting paid gigs, or have a team of at least moderately skilled hackers and computer geeks, then don't apply, because you won't make it to the 3rd level of this evaluation process. This is a REAL production co., with real TV shows that are on TV right now. This isn't a pie in the sky dream of some wanna be film makers.

Ideally, your a hacker, within a group, or part of a team, that is getting paid jobs on a regular or semi-regular basis. If you can fit that, HIT ME UP NOW. If you are fairly close to fitting that, but not quite there, hit me up anyway. Remember, characters account for alot! If your team has some interesting people, or just one really crazy guy, or character, that can go a long way...if jobs are sporadic, thats ok too, because prod.co's have been known to 'cultivate' work for you, and once your on TV, jobs tend to start rolling in. Business booms after your small, humble operation gets its own TV show.

If you have ANY questions or comments, or know of a group that fits this profile feel free to contact me via PM.

If you fit this criteria, contact me directly>> thepalehustlini at yahoo dot com

Good Luck!

I contend that Internet TV is just as "real" as traditional TV.

If you fit this criteria, contact me directly>> thepalehustlini at yahoo dot com

Wait, your a co-producer for Television Series and you have a Yahoo mail account for business?

Why wouldn't you hire real actors and just have computer guys tell them what to say....?

Edited by Remix

I contend that Internet TV is just as "real" as traditional TV.

Oh I agree. Its just a difference in earning money as opposed to not earning money. You will make $$$ on TV. You won't make money on internet TV, not yet anyway.

Wait, your a co-producer for Television Series and you have a Yahoo mail account for business?

Yea. The prod. co. would rather not have their email addresses exposed to hundreds of hackers, some of whom might get disgruntled for whatever reason.

Having a "official" email account means nothing. You either have the connections or you don't.

Anything else?

Why wouldn't you hire real actors and just have computer guys tell them what to say....?

Its not a scripted TV show. Its a reality based docu drama. Theres a huge difference. Its essentially reality tv, crews follow you around all day, etc. However, there are some instances where you are "pushed" into situations, or things happen that just so happen to be good for tv. ;) You say what you want to say. Occasionally they'll need a soundbyte and tell you what to say, then theres B-roll, but its about following the main characters.

However, there are some instances where you are "pushed" into situations, or things happen that just so happen to be good for tv

So you want to make something "real" and continue to use the word "reality" but push things to happen?

Usually I'm quite diplomatic but to me this sounds like horse shit which is going to do nothing for the individual, team or movement. If you do ever get this thing off the ground I cannot forsee any authentcity from the characters or the show, which is what you were aiming for in the first place. Your version of "real" is laughable.

Edited by sshblack

Yea. The prod. co. would rather not have their email addresses exposed to hundreds of hackers, some of whom might get disgruntled for whatever reason.

Having a "official" email account means nothing. You either have the connections or you don't.

Anything else?

Lol. You don't want to expose your mail account to hundreds of hackers but you want to hire them for a TV show and let them around of your equipment and possessions. Answer this for me, what channel/company is going to air this show? (i.e. Fox,USA, MTV)

This just sounds like a horrible idea. Computer hacking is a decidedly non-visual thing. It's also utterly boring to people who aren't computer hackers, or is interesting, but only on in high level discussions. The moment you actually start talking tech, you've lost the general audience. And who wants to stare at some dude sitting at a computer for 8 hour straight? I don't think you've even thought this out. How would an episode go? Give us an outline. Because it's going to be one of two things: something very fake, which you don't need computer hackers to do, or something very real, which will be so boring to the viewer, just don't even bother.

And for Christ's sake, learn the difference between "you're" and "your", especially when you're offering a serious TV role position.

Symantec started using Yahoo Messenger as a standard Instant Messaging client after they phased out Lotus Notes.

However, there are some instances where you are "pushed" into situations, or things happen that just so happen to be good for tv

So you want to make something "real" and continue to use the word "reality" but push things to happen?

Usually I'm quite diplomatic but to me this sounds like horse shit which is going to do nothing for the individual, team or movement. If you do ever get this thing off the ground I cannot forsee any authentcity from the characters or the show, which is what you were aiming for in the first place. Your version of "real" is laughable.

Well you are entitled to your opinion. I disagree about it not doing anything for the team. If it goes beyond a single season they will be doing quite well. Individual? This is for a team or group. Movement? The show isn't running for office or trying to trumpet the betterment of the hacker subculture so thats irrelevant. Its not up to me if it gets off the ground. Thats what alot of you need to recognize. I'm just recruiting the talent. IF you fit the criteria, good for you. If you don't, ok, it doesn't affect me one way or the other. And its not my version of "real", its what sells that matters. I don't make the network mandates, I just have to follow them if I want to get a show sold.

Anything else?

Lol. You don't want to expose your mail account to hundreds of hackers but you want to hire them for a TV show and let them around of your equipment and possessions. Answer this for me, what channel/company is going to air this show? (i.e. Fox,USA, MTV)

That would be info for those involved, and for those being considered for the project. Clearly, you are not one of those. And if you knew anything about TV, you would know that no one knows what channel/co. is going to air the show before theres a pilot. In some cases you recieve advance funding from a channel, but that doesn't mean they will ever air it. In many cases, funding is obtained, pilots are shot, then shopped to lots of channels and networks.

btw. Any hacker that tried to mess with the equipment and possessions of a film crew, and the prod. co. that is paying them...is a str8 up DUMB*ASS. is that clear enough for you?

And for Christ's sake, learn the difference between "you're" and "your", especially when you're offering a serious TV role position.

I mean really, the most you have to contribute to this thread is putting on a spelling nazi hat and pointing out my spelling error? :roll:

Thanks for the tip though.

This just sounds like a horrible idea. Computer hacking is a decidedly non-visual thing. It's also utterly boring to people who aren't computer hackers, or is interesting, but only on in high level discussions. The moment you actually start talking tech, you've lost the general audience. And who wants to stare at some dude sitting at a computer for 8 hour straight? I don't think you've even thought this out. How would an episode go? Give us an outline. Because it's going to be one of two things: something very fake, which you don't need computer hackers to do, or something very real, which will be so boring to the viewer, just don't even bother.

Thats your perception. You have some good points, and they are things that have been discussed. We have no intention of watching a guy behind his monitor for 8 hours. Thats why you have editing. 8 hours will be condensed to a few key moments. And yes, we have thought this out. The executive producer who's flagship show has seen 5 seasons has thought this through. (among others) Its not my job, nor do I even have the inclination to provide an 'outline'. I'll gladly answer questions, but with all this demanding, snotty attitude b.s. i'm getting its not exactly motivating me to offer up much more.

I'm not surprised you're getting a "snotty attitude" here because it's a horrible idea. To do anything even remotely interesting to the general audience, it's going to have to be quite fake. Either cheesy re-enactments or outright fiction. If there's anything hackers don't like is fictionalizing what they do as seen in movies like Hackers and Swordfish. It's campy, it's boring and I don't think anyone here wants to see any more of it. Except to laugh at.

/me throws a shmooball

Edited by Famicoman

I mean really, the most you have to contribute to this thread is putting on a spelling nazi hat and pointing out my spelling error? :roll:

Yes, I'm particularly sick of millions of people making that same goddamn error as if noone can actually learn simple grammar.

I'll gladly answer questions, but with all this demanding, snotty attitude b.s. i'm getting its not exactly motivating me to offer up much more.

Noone really cares about your offer as it is, because you haven't provided any concrete information. Who is the executive producer? Which show? And most of all:

how do you see the hacker show you plan to make not being boring? What is it going to be about?

I actually think it sounds quite interesting (from the limited information we have be given) but then again, im a computer geek :P

Personally im happy when anything hacker related comes on TV even if it's so i can jeer about how fake it is which, considering it will be shown to the general public, i would have to say this will be.

Fake but entertaining but as long as it educates people of what they can do to increase security i say give it a go. Maybe then people will realise if they must use Windows then at least keep it updated

It actually makes a lot of sense. They're not saying which company and/or television station it is because of a non-disclosure agreement..and hacking shows on national television isn't that far-fetched of an idea. Haven't you guys about the show that KingPin from the L0pht is doing for the Discovery Channel? There's also that Tiger Team series on TruTV..

The responses in this thread are characteristic of why there aren't more syndicated technical entertainment shows in pop culture--because most "geeks" are so stubborn and boring. :flamethrow: