Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
snakesonaplane

Best Ad Company?

8 posts in this topic

I'm designing a website that will potentially generate a good deal of traffic within a select geographic area. It's going to be a live stream of campus police radio communications available for students at a large state school. I've already registered the domain and decided how I will run the stream, so I'm just waiting till the start of next semester to go live. Because of the potential popularity/design of the site, I'm looking to put some small (non-annoying) ads on it. I'd like to avoid adsense because they like to revoke memberships for practically made up "TOS infractions" (it's happened to me before). Could anyone suggest a good ad company? I think I'd like to experiment with both pay-per-click and impression-based ads.

What you're proposing may actually be illegal. It's illegal to re-broadcast or even talk about what you heard on some frequencies. You might not have to worry about your ads getting shut down by "made up" TOS violations, you might end up worrying about the entire site being shut down. Be sure it's legal first, unless you like trouble.

We always had emergency channel scanners in my house when I was a kid. My father always warned me never to talk about what I heard on it, though that was for a number of reasons. Though they never said the names of whoever was hurt or on fire or whatever, they said addresses and often referred to the house as the "whatever family's residence" so you pretty much knew what was happening to who. Not only was it probably illegal to tell what I heard, but could be socially awkward saying "hey, your grandmother fell again last night and had to have the fire department come and help her up again."

lulz, this is hilarious. I wouldn't worry so much about ad revenue i mean come on...how much do you really think you'd make off this at like .005cents per click.

btw I was under the impression that any signal coming into your house is fair game... Why wouldn't police use encryption or other forms of communication if their transmissions were so "confidential." Unless of course the OP is using a more deviant method to pick up these signals idk...

btw I was under the impression that any signal coming into your house is fair game... Why wouldn't police use encryption or other forms of communication if their transmissions were so "confidential." Unless of course the OP is using a more deviant method to pick up these signals idk...

Historically, encrypted radio was impossible or prohibitively expensive. Even now, it's not cheap and adds a whole host of new problems including range and interoperability with neighboring towns and counties. Basically, if you upgrade one to digital encrypted radio, you have to upgrade everyone. In a place like there, where it's rather sparsely populated that would be impossible.

It's always worked on the honor system. While they can't prevent you from receiving the radio signal (except by forcing manufacturers of scanners and radios to exclude certain channels, which never works), they can prevent you from talking about, rebroadcasting or otherwise communicating what you heard on these channels. Yes, it is the honor system, but they really had no choice. This is exactly why certain details are left out of radio communications.

I'm not sure which channels fall under this law or if it's a federal or local thing. Check with the hams in your area first, they'll know for sure.

I watched a video a few months back which during the Intro to Radio Scanners segment mentions some legalities on this issue if I remember correctly. It shows how you can search for frequencies used by different services and other related info. I forget now.

It was one of the BSOD vids:

http://www.podcastdirectory.com/podcasts/28254

Episode 11 , I think!

I agree with you about AdSense and their ever changing TOS. Perhaps a referral type system might be better, perhaps for books on subjects taught at your place of education. I image most adsense type schemes would have trouble matching relevant ads to your content.

You could sell links also on the site, I bet companies in the area which students go to might pay for a link/ad placement. Probably pay better to.

There used to be sites that broadcasted New York and San Francisco and a few other cities fire and rescue. You might want to try and look them up and see if they have any legal issues.

What you're proposing may actually be illegal. It's illegal to re-broadcast or even talk about what you heard on some frequencies. You might not have to worry about your ads getting shut down by "made up" TOS violations, you might end up worrying about the entire site being shut down. Be sure it's legal first, unless you like trouble.

Thanks for the heads up. Because I've seen live feeds of scanners online (google search will reveal thousands), the legality issue never even crossed my mind. I was certain that any unencrypted communication was fair game. I'm definitely worried about the legal ramifications and will be contacting the FCC/doing some research.

@remix:

I'm not looking to be the next Facebook here. I just want to make enough revenue to offset the hosting fees, domain reg, and running the PC/scanner server that will transmit the feed. I'm always up for a cool project, but I'm also a broke college student.

It is legal to listen to the police but it is illegal to do so while in a vehicle that is on.

I am a web designer and I honestly dont think that you are going to have a large deal of traffic from this. I doubt you will re coop the cost of streaming it (unless you are providing the bandwidth yourself)

Most affiliates wont give you much until you can show them that you get a lot of traffic.. you can do this by showing your alexa ranking or google analytic.. some require others.