Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

Domain Name Ideas

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

My registration for planetcpp.info just ended after three years of free hosting. I have only been putting my C++ tutorial there but now I'd like to put more stuff online, such as my projects and stuff like this. I would not mind buying a neat premade website design in which I put my content (I don't really deal with website design, all I want is to give content). As I've just entered university I now have my own 200MB of web space at users.encs.concordia.ca/~marcan_m. I've moved my C++ tutorial there for the moment, but I'll eventually work on something new with more content and stuff. I would only have to buy a domain name, which is quite cheap. However, I have no idea what to choose for a domain name for something like this. I don't want something like aghaster.com or something like that, I would like something that sounds more professional. Any ideas?

Aghaster.org?

You can use asciidot for content management. It's really good, converts some sort of .txt to .html, with straightforward design models.

Get a domain name with keywords in it, such as 'programming'.

.com's always rank better than .info's, and remember that a ' - ' is treated by google as a space, so cplusplus-programming.com isn't far off cplusplusprogramming.com.

That being said, planetcpp.info is a nice name, can you not renew it? It would be a shame to loose and links to your site, and page rank.

Godaddy is the cheapest place for domains, get a discount code for some money off. I always get private registration so if I p*ss someone off, they can't get my address and phone number from whois.

The discount code CJCPRIVATE worked for me on Friday.

Don't host with GoDaddy, just get domains from them. There stat's suck.

EDIT - Oh and I wouldn't buy a pre made site Aghaster, I'm sure your more than capable of creating a site yourself. But if you dont want to, Wordpress is a nice blog program, Joomla has lots of bells and whistles. Both are a bitch to get used to at first though, lol.

Edited by Swerve

Hum... that web space offered by the university seems quite limited. While I can use CSS templates it looks like XHTML does not work. Meh. I found a couple of nice free templates but they use XHTML.

As for planetcpp.info, most of the results you'll find on google with be linked directly to me mentioning the URL. However, I found an old blog post with a reply to an email I've sent to an MSDN blogger a while ago, but I never knew he read it and replied:

http://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/archive/2008...02/6951081.aspx

Interesting, just bad I never noticed. He could have mailed me back to let me know of something.

I would not mind keeping planetcpp.info but it only refers to C++, and I want something more general than just C++. Time for a change.

XHTML working or not working has nothing to do with the server. Your browser will see it's XHTML from the XML declarations at the beginning. I was confused at this at first, as I was trying to name everything .xhtml and apache return the correct content type, but this is just an unnecessary complication.

As for naming your domain name to get better search engine results.... I really don't think that matters at all. Modern search engines probably don't even consider the domain name or URL. Google does all kind of stuff with the words you use in the content of the page (frequency, proximity to other words, etc) and even more with the amount of links you have to similar pages (and how much they link to you). The domain name is irrelevant.

You could go for one of those clever domains like del.ico.us or scriptaculo.us. Get a list of TLDs you can register with, then grep through your /usr/share/dict/words (or equivalent) for words that end in these suffixes. If you have to, break it up even more like del.icio.us. I wonder if test.es is taken? Or testicl.es for that matter? You should come up with something more clever (and perhaps less vulgar) than that though :)

I'll continue thinking about a domain name, but I could start making the website before that anyway. I don't know that much about making websites. I found this css template:

http://www.freecsstemplates.org/preview/squarely

I then adjust the css template using a text editor and I add content using kompozer. I was wondering, this css template gives me a nice menu, but I'd like a drop down menu. Any ideas what I should look into? Also, what would be my options for easier formatting of my articles? For example, on a wiki or on a forum I can insert code in

to get code formatting right away. Could I do the same without too much trouble?

EDIT: A sudden idea: what about caffeinetocode.com?

...A sudden idea: what about caffeinetocode.com?

I like it! I've used name.com, 1and1 and godaddy. My favorite was name.com because they're cheap, reliable and simple!

You can also try splitting it up to something fun kind of like del.icio.us and spl.at you could try something like ram.bunctio.us, in.theb.ag or pro.gra.ms!

Just be off the wall and unique!

Edited by Y0ungBra1n

Just use github if you're looking to host source. Git is by far the best version control system I've used and github makes is insanely easy to have other people contribute, fork, follow, and download code.

Just use github if you're looking to host source. Git is by far the best version control system I've used and github makes is insanely easy to have other people contribute, fork, follow, and download code.

I currently have some of my projects on assembla.com, where I can get free subversion along with a lot of other stuff I don't need. However, I would like to put on my personal website "stable" releases along with description, screenshots and link to the subversion repository.

Hi,

My registration for planetcpp.info just ended after three years of free hosting. I have only been putting my C++ tutorial there but now I'd like to put more stuff online, such as my projects and stuff like this. I would not mind buying a neat premade website design in which I put my content (I don't really deal with website design, all I want is to give content). As I've just entered university I now have my own 200MB of web space at users.encs.concordia.ca/~marcan_m. I've moved my C++ tutorial there for the moment, but I'll eventually work on something new with more content and stuff. I would only have to buy a domain name, which is quite cheap. However, I have no idea what to choose for a domain name for something like this. I don't want something like aghaster.com or something like that, I would like something that sounds more professional. Any ideas?

uhm...will your school let you map your shared drive space to dns like that? not sure if your IT dept will just let you assign a domain name. Also if this is just your personal page where most of your hits will be through linkage then the domain name really doesnt matter. If you are trying to gain revenue and higher SEO then you need to use keywords that relate to the content of your site. If your writing tutorials on C then.... ctutorials.com or something(prolly taken) Maybe for content adding and subtracting and community input just have a forum. That way most of the work is done for you.

Edited by Remix

Hum... that web space offered by the university seems quite limited. While I can use CSS templates it looks like XHTML does not work. Meh. I found a couple of nice free templates but they use XHTML.

As for planetcpp.info, most of the results you'll find on google with be linked directly to me mentioning the URL. However, I found an old blog post with a reply to an email I've sent to an MSDN blogger a while ago, but I never knew he read it and replied:

http://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/archive/2008...02/6951081.aspx

Interesting, just bad I never noticed. He could have mailed me back to let me know of something.

I would not mind keeping planetcpp.info but it only refers to C++, and I want something more general than just C++. Time for a change.

How about 'codeweavers.tld', or 'codeprog.tld', or 'forloop.tld, or 'stackframe.tld'.