Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rakshit

To Reveal... an hidden password

15 posts in this topic

Iam trying to reveal...an hidden password , which is in dots form.... My problem is... The site... on which this password exist , is not letting me copy that string of password . Please suggest how can i Copy that password and How should i Reveal it

You obviously can't copy things from a password field of a form, that would defeat the purpose of the password being hidden. It's also not the site letting you copy it, it's your web browser itself. Some sites also populate password fields with junk data just to stick some asterisks in there as if to say "put your password here." All you'll get from that even if you do manage to read the password field is the junk data.

There are some programs to do this, but require you to be using specific versions of web browsers. The browser itself should actively prevent you from doing this, so it may not even be possible on all browsers without using a debugger. I did find some programs, but the google query I used to find them was so obvious I'll assume you already found them. Since your intent can so easily be malicious, I'll leave it up to yourself to find them.

I also remember a thread here (at least I think it was here) on this same topic, so you might want to use the search field and see what people came up with there.

Back in the days of Firefox 1 (I think) there was a plugin (I think) that would turn the asterisks into plain text.

Theoretically, a greasemonkey script could just change all the password field's type attribute from password to text. You could try the same thing manually with firebug.

This probably isn't what you want;

but if you let Firefox 'remember' your pw you can go to edit/preferences/security/saved passwords then choose show passwords and view them.. at least that's how I just checked here.. Ubuntu 8.10; Firefox 3.0.5

In the website .. that im trying to reveal the password , it doesnt have astrix.. for formating the password string , instead it has some graphical dots's. I tried.. that java script but it says "no password".

:roll:

Though i was trying.... at my end... to figure out .... ny trick........... After reading .. from you guys i did manage ..to get a way out

I opened My Mozilla firefox , went to Mozilla config option (in url about:config) and made.. autoclip copy option enabled, refershed that page... and clicked on the ... dotted password box and it revealed the pass.

Thanks guys :D

SnadBoy's Revelation is my personal favorite. ^_^

BTW, it doesn't matter if it's inside or outside of a web browser. The GUI API form code should be the same.

Edited by duper

i thought somebody would mention it but i haven't seen it yet. this idea is from the 2008 summer 2600 (stop laughing).

you can just use some javascript DOM manipulation in the URL bar to do this. the lines used in the article were as follows:

alert(document.forms.length)

alert(document.forms[x].name)

alert(document.forms[x].elements.length)

alert(document.forms[x].elements[y].name)

alert(document.forms[x].elements[y].value)

all you have to do is take a minute to find the form and element the password box is in, then find it's value. and in case you didn't know about this before, you can run javascript straight from the url bar by typing "java script:[javascript goes here]". it might take a bit longer, but it doesn't require installing anything. if you can access the URL bar and the browser has javascript enabled, you can use this method.

Nice. Maybe you could write an XSS payload that changes the document.location to popular sites and sends the password values to a drop zone.

In the website .. that im trying to reveal the password , it doesnt have astrix.. for formating the password string , instead it has some graphical dots's. I tried.. that java script but it says "no password".

:roll:

Stop putting two-thirds ellipses everywhere.

Also, do you mean those big black dots? Because those replace asterisks in Firefox 3 and Internet Explorer 7 (I think).

I like those password fields where the number of asterisks don't necessarily reflect the number of characters in the passphrase.