antirem

Minneapolis Meet

249 posts in this topic

I am willing to help coordinate a binrev meetup in Minneapolis if others are up for it? (i have 1-2 others who would go already)

I just started going back to the 2600 ones, and they are great, but would be nice to have a fresh group which might be a bit more security oriented.

went to the ones at MOA a couple times... do you still go? if so how is it now?

any topics you have in mind?

Edited by ~Total_Blackout~

They dont really goto the mall of america.. they go there and then to a coffee shop but i think most people just skip to the coffee shop.

Ive only gone once (last meeting) in the last two years and its good.. just not all that hacking oriented.

My friend had some ideas.. if you ever have a chance to goto the 2600 in Chicago i definitely recommend it. I want to make one like theirs where this a presentation each week on something security related.

i could probably make it but i wouldn't have anything to contribute inless some wanted to do something impractical like partitioning drives via batch script. but i could show up listen and say xscan is pretty cool

Would be interested to know if this ever got going. I'd probably think about checking it out.

As a frequenter of #mn2600 on freenode and occasional attendee of meetings, I can say that we always encourage anyone to do a presentation on a topic or bring a topic up for discussion. It just doesn't come up so often. We also say though that our group is entirely on a volunteer basis and if you have suggestions to make our meetings better or more focused, we're open to any ideas.

As for meeting at the MoA, regulars mostly don't bother going out there anymore. We changed our wiki(http://mn2600.org/) to reflect this so new people don't go to the MoA and wait around wondering where everyone is or if anyone is coming.

hmm. we should just have a meeting already. i mean we have like 4-5 people interested in going now if we bug people at the 2600 meeting we could probably get a couple/few more. if not 4/5 people is enough to meet and discuss and then no one is going to be pissed because they didnt get to say something.

They dont really goto the mall of america.. they go there and then to a coffee shop but i think most people just skip to the coffee shop.

Ive only gone once (last meeting) in the last two years and its good.. just not all that hacking oriented.

My friend had some ideas.. if you ever have a chance to goto the 2600 in Chicago i definitely recommend it. I want to make one like theirs where this a presentation each week on something security related.

My favorite place about Mall of America is....Hooters on the top floor.

Oh..and the sushi bar on the second floor, or is it the third?

You should meet at Hooters.

Takes pictures too, we wanna see pictures of everyone.

Edited by R4p1d

I hope we can get this started. I have set up a pbx just for fun if we want to use that for announcements.

Of us or the hooters girls?

Edited by Total Blackout

Of us or the hooters girls?

both.

Do we have any idea of what we want to discuss? I know I will be looking for help on asterisk. I can also supply some "cheesy" hacker games. Like Ill buy (cheep) lunch for first first person to crack wep/guess wpa on my fon. Or make a little crackme, whatever.

What are some things that the rest of you guys talk about/do at your meet ups?

Summer school is out! I am stoked. I really want a meeting. Anyone willing to come to MOA on Aug 14 or 15?

So where's it at already?

I guess that depends on how far people are willing to travel. I am open for some spot around the U of M or MOA.

I guess that depends on how far people are willing to travel. I am open for some spot around the U of M or MOA.

Ok- U of M, computer science building. The lounge in the middle, sound good? I don't know what time these are suppose to take place. What time?

Ok- U of M, computer science building. The lounge in the middle, sound good? I don't know what time these are suppose to take place. What time?

Sounds great!

First Saturday of the month at 1:00?

Sounds great!

Alright cool! 1:00pm. For everyone here's a map:

jadbkaack.jpg

Basically go down washington and you'll see it. Here's what it looks like from

washington:

kadbaaack.jpg

Walk in and go to your left, you'll find a multi-level lounge area in the center. We'll be at the bottom level.

We'll see you there, this saturday actually.

Sounds great!

Alright cool! 1:00pm. For everyone here's a map:

jadbkaack.jpg

Basically go down washington and you'll see it. Here's what it looks like from

washington:

kadbaaack.jpg

Walk in and go to your left, you'll find a multi-level lounge area in the center. We'll be at the bottom level.

We'll see you there, this saturday actually.

Awesome. Thanks for being motivated. Hopefully it won't just be the two of us.... but if it is well, its a start.

Some things I want to talk about:

1) If you are really up for a monthly meeting. How do we get more people.

2) I have set up an asterisk pbx that we can use for information and advertising purposes. I need to configure it to accept more then one caller at a time.

3) I want to test out the cold boot attack against a bitlocker encrypted HDD. See how the process works first hand.

Things that will make me stop wanting to come every month:

1) People who hate on noobs. I want these meetings to be open to all experience levels. BinRev has always been the place I can ask some real trivial questions and still get help.

2) People who act like they are better/smarter then everyone else. These people only come to get a ego boost, its sad.

Edited by ~Total_Blackout~

hmm i wont be able to make it to this one inless i want to hangout for like 8hrs for when i can get a ride. maybe next month idk yet.

FYI: I have a blue shell on my laptop.

ok. I'll probably be the only person wearing a vest and a tie

FYI: I have a blue shell on my laptop.

ok. I'll probably be the only person wearing a vest and a tie

Alright, I'm a complete lamer! I can't make it tomorrow I have to go and see my brother. Next month, mates- i promise

Wow. I hope you guys stick to your word and come next month! I am going to come anyways! Just to say I went to a BinRev meeting. I am going to have my computer turned around with the BinRev page facing out to everyone. Hopefully people will ask what the hell I'm doing and I can start a conversation with someone. You guys owe me recruiting some of your friends to come with next time :cool: .

See ya next month!

~TB~