Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xantr3x

RAM Modification Question

6 posts in this topic

Alright, so as you may know, especially if you were on IRC this time last year, I'm not that good with computer hardware, but I have gained considerable knowledge. So for my problem: I just got 2 sticks of 2gb OCZ Reaper RAM, and they are HUGE because of the heatsinks on them. Now what my problem is is that my CPU cooler extends over my DIMMs, and the 2 sticks won't fit. So these are what I see as my options.

A: I take the fan off of my cooler, as there is a 120mm fan right behind that I presume will pull the hot air from the cooler.

B: I take the fan off of that side of the cooler, find some way to reverse the rotation, and attach it on the other side of the heatsink.

C. Take the heatsinks off of the RAM. They're not that important, as I'm not planning on overclocking the RAM right now, however I realize this will void the warranty.

If I could get your input and/or alternate ideas I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Personally i'd take the heatsinks off the RAM. They only seem to be necessary if you want to over clock or water cool.

take the fan off of that side of the cooler, find some way to reverse the rotation, and attach it on the other side of the heatsink.

That would be the hacker thing to do tho :P

A: I take the fan off of my cooler, as there is a 120mm fan right behind that I presume will pull the hot air from the cooler.

No No. That can be a bad idea. Better not risk it

B: I take the fan off of that side of the cooler, find some way to reverse the rotation, and attach it on the other side of the heatsink.

Do not bother

C. Take the heatsinks off of the RAM. They're not that important, as I'm not planning on overclocking the RAM right now, however I realize this will void the warranty.

Ok you have 3 choices now.

1. buy a new CPU heat sink

2. Take the Pipes and cut them off the ram (will have the black cover over the ram, just not the 2 pipes, that connect to the other peace)

This will void your warranty, but you will see way that will not matter.

or

3. Buy so new ram that does not have a huge heat sink on it.

I have the same type of ram as you in my system and I had to do the same thing. It does not matter, if you void your warranty, it is faster just to buy new ram then to wait for you to send it in, and have them ship it out to you. Ram cost $40 for one 2GB stick, if that, not that big of a lost.

What type of cooler is it? It sounds to me like you have a tower-style cooler with a side-mounted fan. If that's the case, just move the fan to the other side. Also, pay attention to what direction the fan is blowing. They're usually configured to draw cool air in from the back of the case, so if you change the orientation you'll need to keep the air going the same way. Most fans have little arrows indicating the direction of airflow and the spin of the blades. They're faint, but they're there. I know I missed them for a long time, and had to guess quite a bit.

It's possible to take the heatsinks off the RAM. However, don't do that unless you really have to. Buying a new cooler would be preferable to modifying your RAM. You can get decent ones for $20 to $30 on newegg so it's not a very expensive problem to solve. And if you're going to get one, look at the coolers made by Scythe. They have some really insane ones, but also a few extremely well made normalish ones for not much money.

I have a Freezer 64 Pro, and the way its configured the fan can only go on one side. I was thinking if there was some sort of way to reverse the flow I could put it on the opposite side.

If it used a standard fan, you'd be OK. I never buy coolers with non-standard fans for this reason among others. If the mounting bracket or screws are the right type, you could get a normal fan the same size. Also, the only way to really reverse the direction of a fan is to turn it around. This fan, it doesn't look like you can turn it around. However, depending on the mounting to the board, it may be possible to turn the entire thing around, especially if it replaced the standard plastic mounting bracket with its own.