Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joako

More Insecure Voicemail (AT&T)

2 posts in this topic

Just setup a line of service with AT&T. I called the new number from a non-AT&T phone and the voicemail greeting says "Sorry, but the person you have called has a voice mailbox that has not yet been setup. Goodbye" and then it hangs up.

For the hell of it, I pressed * during this greeting and guess what... it lets me setup the mailbox just as if I had been calling from the mobile phone! Called back and sure enough, the not-setup message is no longer played.

When will these companies make their voicemail secure? I remember sometime in 2003 or maybe earlier I thought it would be cool to call a buddy on his SprintPCS phone with his own number on the caller ID and it just dumped me into his voicemail "You have 3 new messages" (or whatever) without even a single ring and IMO things haven't gotten too much better.

Just setup a line of service with AT&T. I called the new number from a non-AT&T phone and the voicemail greeting says "Sorry, but the person you have called has a voice mailbox that has not yet been setup. Goodbye" and then it hangs up.

For the hell of it, I pressed * during this greeting and guess what... it lets me setup the mailbox just as if I had been calling from the mobile phone! Called back and sure enough, the not-setup message is no longer played.

When will these companies make their voicemail secure? I remember sometime in 2003 or maybe earlier I thought it would be cool to call a buddy on his SprintPCS phone with his own number on the caller ID and it just dumped me into his voicemail "You have 3 new messages" (or whatever) without even a single ring and IMO things haven't gotten too much better.

All major carriers have this flaw. At lease nsat&t doesn't allowing out going calls from the voicemail..