Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
koolhenc

Linux holds kids back!

26 posts in this topic

"No software is free and spreading that misconception is harmful."

That lady is a serious douche.

"I along with many others tried Linux during college and I assure you, the claims you make are grossly over-stated and hinge on falsehoods."

Heh, like it's a mind-altering substance or something!

I saw this earlier on Reddit. What an asshat...

Though, from the horror stories we've all heard this is probably not that rare. In fact, I once met a university professor (a Computer Information Services professor!) at an install-fest who had no clue about Linux. No clue about Free Software or GNU. Had only used UNIX long ago. Was shocked when I handed him a burned CD. Asshats are everywhere, even in the places you'd least expect them.

Hmmm... I wonder if that letter is real, or if the guy just made it up.

That can't be real. Teachers can be ignorant, but I can't see someone who works with computers being THAT ignorant.

That can't be real. Teachers can be ignorant, but I can't see someone who works with computers being THAT ignorant.

It's a Texas middle school.. might be real. They're not that far from Kansas.

Reminds me of this one I saw a few years back. Linux and PHP can lead to harder things like C and BSD.

Never, ever, ever underestimate the depths of human stupidity.

It's a Texas middle school.. might be real. They're not that far from Kansas.
That was uncalled for. :growl:

This goes in the hall of shame along with Is Your Son A Computer Hacker?

Except one is real, the other is satire.

Edit: Is it real, or clever satire?

This goes in the hall of shame along with Is Your Son A Computer Hacker?

Except one is real, the other is satire.

Edit: Is it real, or clever satire?

To be honest, I was never able to tell. I can't find something that would confirm it is satire, but the author of Is Your Son A Computer Hacker also wrote a couple of other idiotic stuff, which really looks real.

OH MY GOD! I can't believe what I'm reading now! This guy started such a huge reaction he never expected XD

I received calls from South Africa, The Netherlands, Croatia, The Land Down Under and Russia.

It's the one from New Zealand that bothered me the most.

The caller identified himself and then further identified himself as an editor for a well known magazine published in the UK. He was extremely to-the-point with his call.

He would donate $1000.00 immediately to The HeliOS Project if I would give him the name of the Teacher I blogged about.

I hung up the phone.

but she isn't that ignorant anymore lol. And that blog author is cool. He knows how to write cool posts!

I do feel sorry for her in a way. It must be hard to be pushed into the tech world like that. One minute your telling a kid off for passing "free software" around and the next you're all over /. with everyone stating what an "asshat" you are. But still, you would hope that teachers would be better informed about things like this. Linux is growing, but we still got a lot of work to do

I do feel sorry for her in a way. It must be hard to be pushed into the tech world like that. One minute your telling a kid off for passing "free software" around and the next you're all over /. with everyone stating what an "asshat" you are. But still, you would hope that teachers would be better informed about things like this. Linux is growing, but we still got a lot of work to do

I've said many pro-mainstream-education things in the past, and will still continue to do so, but this is a glaring issue for sure.

It seems to follow the idiom of, "those who can't do, teach." One of the things I was most greatful for about college is that one of the main professors in a large number of my classes had come into teaching fresh off a stint as one of the head IT directors with Borders (as in the book store franchise). Even if he didn't know the technical details, he understood many of the concepts from a very high level, that still would have kept such situations from becoming a negative issue.

This is a classic example of "tow the line," in technology education. I've always felt that if you're in a technology related profession, you should be prepared to constantly learning new things. If you don't like that, you should consider a new career.

What s th saddest about this story, is the apparent suppression from the teacher unto the student. The *best* teachers I had at the high-school and collegiate levels where those that suggested courses of independent study on topics they were willing to admit they knew not enough about to instruct me on in a regular classroom setting.

No "teacher," in any context whatsoever, should present themselves as the end-all-be-all of knowledge.

I remember reading the "My son is a hacker" one and laughed at the satire... "an veil hacker linus torvoltos"

This one is just sad thought.

Wait Linux is free? I bought Ubuntu from stapples for 199.99.

lol. I have some Linux product keys for sale if any one needs to buy a few.

Wait Linux is free? I bought Ubuntu from stapples for 199.99.

lol. I have some Linux product keys for sale if any one needs to buy a few.

http://www.linuxgenuineadvantage.org/

^_^ I am so glad that my computer which was working fine can now continue to work fine