Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
schippstrich

Free Microsoft products for student's

11 posts in this topic

I am sure that some of you know about this, but for those that don't.

Check out Microsoft's program.....

dreamspark.com

You just need to be a student from an accredited school.

Some of the product's that are available;

Windows Server 2008

Visual Studio 2008

SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition

I hope this was useful to some of you.

Edited by schippystrich

I'm enrolled in the University of Phoenix, and they have a link to dreamspark, letting you now all the free stuff you are eligible for. The one time I remembered to check it out at home, the dreamspark site was down. It's on the list of thing to get done soon, though.

Edited by righteous_slave

Ditto, Our university offers some services/products through dreamspark... along with we just got a license with Adobe, hurray!

I am worry of "FREE" stuff from Microsoft.

Let me tell you guys a story;

My boss was at a Convention in CA for Microsoft (and other software Companies). He got a bunch of free software (Exchange 2008, when it was just hitting the market), but then he get a form in the mail (a W9 or W4 I forget what one it what right now). Even though the software was "Free" they taxed him on it.

I am not saying this will happen with your program, I am just a little less likely to jump on free software then I once was.

Just my thought, tell me how it goes; I would like to know.

The school I attend never mentioned it. A friend told me about it, and I found that my school was one that was. So I signed up with my windows live passport and have downloaded all of the product's and the product key's they provided. I've had these product's for more than 3 month's!

I do not believe there are any catches.

Devry University also does this. The catch is though, once you stop attending the college you aren't allowed to use the products any longer. How do they even enforce this? I do not think that they do.

It really depends on the license agreement that your educational institute (big words ftw) took when taking upon this offer. I highly doubt in anyway a student would be charged any sort of 'tax' fee for taking part of any of these deals, if anything the University or School would be taking the liberty to afford these.

With the Microsoft Agreement on most of its products no cd-key is needed, the ones that are offered by dreamspark on the other hand I believe require a key obtained off of the dreamspark website itself. I believe the license with Microsoft allows you to leave the software on the computer however if you were to reformat, etc... you're screwed (Unless you saved a copy of the installer wink wink). With Adobe on the other hand which our location offers ALL their products as a free download if you leave the university you're immediatly supposed to remove all installed applications as described. A key is assigned to each and every students Username and that key can only be installed on 2 machines at a time as upon activation it verifies the information with Adobe itself. As this is a new license with Adobe it's still flakey on procedures.

EDIT:

Ah, yes, I just remembered, as we offer purchase-able copies of this software in person if you were to purchase it it's yours for life, no need to throw it away. That's atleast with our microsoft products, unlike the downloadable copies they come with cdkeys as well.

It's possible the downloadable keys are embeded in the installer, however I know for a fact a key is not generated for each user or each instance of download for it's a regular download, nothing is generated with it.

Edited by friendless

I have a similar thing at my Uni. Not dreamspark.com but we get free licences for VIsta/XP/Visual studio and loads of other M$ stuff. The kick in the teeth tho is that you need Windows to download it so if im running Linux (and i am) and i want Windows i would need to pirate windows first and then get it :huh:

I have a similar thing at my Uni. Not dreamspark.com but we get free licences for VIsta/XP/Visual studio and loads of other M$ stuff. The kick in the teeth tho is that you need Windows to download it so if im running Linux (and i am) and i want Windows i would need to pirate windows first and then get it :huh:

Maybe you just need to spoof your Browsers User Agent ;)

Maybe you just need to spoof your Browsers User Agent ;)

No, i wish it was that easy. We have to download an exe which starts the download of the actual program (usually an iso)

They have been doing this for a while. I was in graduate school in 1999-2000, and at that time you could either check install CDs out of the library and make a copy for your personal use (Windows 98/ME/2000 at that time), or purchase software at a reduced price through the bookstore (a wider variety of applications, but you had to pony up a few bucks).

Really not a bad deal; definitely worth looking into if you're enrolled in a college that offers it.