Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThoughtPhreaker

Northwestel Operating Map

15 posts in this topic

I was digging through Northwestel's website not too long ago, and found this little niftiness; http://www.nwtel.ca/images/operating_map_full.jpg

Anybody else think it'd be cool to find a loop in one of those top of the world places, like Grise Fiord? It's on a DMS-10, too, there's really no reason why they couldn't have a loop; it's all configured through software.

Also, in case anybody is wondering, I already called Cassiar. Don't get your hopes up, it's not another Livengood.

I was digging through Northwestel's website not too long ago, and found this little niftiness; http://www.nwtel.ca/images/operating_map_full.jpg

Anybody else think it'd be cool to find a loop in one of those top of the world places, like Grise Fiord? It's on a DMS-10, too, there's really no reason why they couldn't have a loop; it's all configured through software.

Also, in case anybody is wondering, I already called Cassiar. Don't get your hopes up, it's not another Livengood.

:) I just thought about something, what about on the other side of the top of the world...like russia? there's probably some aincent equipment lying around dorment.

I just thought about something, what about on the other side of the top of the world...like russia? there's probably some aincent equipment lying around dorment.

There definitely is. From what I understand, the urban networks are the last to go digital in Russia, rather unlike the United States. Call around Moscow (+7 495), in the 00xx line number range, and you'll find a few interesting things. Russia and Cuba are the only countries that I understand to have large installed bases of analog and electromechanical switches. Russia is cheaper to call, because calls to Cuba have to be routed through Norway.

Plus, due to the time difference, if you scan late at night you'll be calling midmorning Moscow time, so you won't make people so irritated at getting up early. Or maybe waking people up is your idea of a good time.

What about inuvik-fort good hope link?

Hrm, there seems to be a low capacity analogue link between Cassiar, BC and somewhere that isn't on the map. Seems like it shares the same prefix at Good Hope Lake, BC (Cassiar, BC Good Hope Lake, BC) "Visit www.cassiar.ca for a virtual community devoted to keeping alive the memories of the now-closed company mining town of Cassiar, British Columbia" http://www.cassiar.ca/cassiar/ Here are some numbers which might route over that trunk:

Jade City Store (250) 239-3022

CASSIAR MOUNTAIN JADE STORE AND MINE (250) 239-JADE

Dease River Band Council 250-239-3001

So maybe 250-239-30xx?

So maybe 250-239-30xx?

250-239-3096 goes to intercept and doesn't charge, unlike Livengood. The route (my home tandem is AT&T's 095T) isn't analog. I hear bit-robbed T-carrier.

What about inuvik-fort good hope link?

A failover route, maybe? *shrugs*

Also, the 3xxx block gives a pretty clean link for me, too. There's alwyas the chance the trunk equipment could still be analog. I mean, the map isn't that old. It's probably just good enough not to make a significant difference. Interesting site, though.

Edited by ThoughtPhreaker

867-966 is Old Crow, Yukon and according to telcodata.us the switch is a MDX384 which is the same switch as Livengood. Might be fun to poke around there.

867-966 is Old Crow, Yukon and according to telcodata.us the switch is a MDX384 which is the same switch as Livengood. Might be fun to poke around there.

oooh, this sounds like phun :P

You know that Grise Fiord place I mentioned earlier? Well, why the hell this is up here (seriously, it has to be a forward) is beyond me, but nothing beats a double high-orbit satellite circuit :) . Listen to that delay! 867-980-1001

You know that Grise Fiord place I mentioned earlier? Well, why the hell this is up here (seriously, it has to be a forward) is beyond me, but nothing beats a double high-orbit satellite circuit :) . Listen to that delay! 867-980-1001

It almost has to be a forward of some type. I can't see this tiny place having their own TOPS. Nice find! :)

It almost has to be a forward of some type. I can't see this tiny place having their own TOPS. Nice find! :)

Theres alot of background noise and it took like at least 20 sconds to connect...Wow :P

Odd, It wont go through, it just reorders nomattter what I call...

Also its on my end, not theirs.

Theres alot of background noise and it took like at least 20 sconds to connect...Wow :P

I wonder if it is trying to send ANI via MF, over a double hop satellite circuit? That might explain the delay!