Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

SeamlessRDP

8 posts in this topic

SeamlessRDP is an extension of the remote desktop protocol, which allows you to get individual applications and not the full desktop like you normally would with remote desktop.

Follow this guide: 10 minutes to run every Windows app on your Ubuntu desktop (the same applies for all distros, shouldn't really change anything)

Also, the above guide says that you should create a new virtual machine, in my case, I use a real Windows machine running headless and which is connected to my network, so that it does not affect the performance of my debian system.

And instead of launching explorer.exe to get the start menu and everything on your side, launch small application called seamlessrdp_runner.

If you do not log out, then you'll have trouble reconnecting to the same machine again (as it will still never have finished the previous session), seamlessrdp_runner lets you launch other applications from it and also allows you to log out properly.

Screenshot:

http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=seamlessrdpqa4.png

This is the Windows version of codeblocks running on my debian system :) I can code Windows app without being on Windows now, hehe.

Wow, thats pretty cool. About time tho! How many times have i wished i could just tunnel windows apps over ssh, this seems close enough :P

Sounds kinda like running Winders programs through an X11 client.

Sounds kinda like running Winders programs through an X11 client.

It is in fact a remote desktop session in which you call a certain program on the target machine that will send the coordinates of the program window you want to have on your side, so that it will cut out the desktop to keep only the window that you want.

wow.....I wish I had this two months ago. Ok, I'm going to run linux again <_<

What type of minimum hardware resources would you need for this to run smoothly? Im assuming the same thing could be accomplished with Xubuntu or Fluxbox.