Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
360sully360

learning php and html

8 posts in this topic

I have started to learn php and html. I am enjoying what i am doing but it is very hard. I have herd people say it it easy to pick up and takes no time at all to learn. Has anyone got any tips or know where i can get any training dvds? I am currently using a lynda.com dvd to start learning php anyone know anything better? thanx

I don't know php, but HTML itself is easy to learn just by surfing the web. I suppose if you really want to you could buy a book on HTML, but i was never interested or confused enough to get one.

as for php, I would recommend buying a book. i've got one of the O'Reilly books for C++ (with the woodcuts on the cover) and it's worked very well for me, and i've only heard good things about them, so I would recommend grabbing one of those on php. stay away from "for dummies" or "learn x in y days/hours/minutes" books, as those have never been real good for me.

and if you want to do some learning without books, i'm sure there's plenty of sites out there with php tutorials, like this one: http://us2.php.net/tut.php

or this one: http://www.goodphptutorials.com/

I have started to learn php and html. I am enjoying what i am doing but it is very hard. I have herd people say it it easy to pick up and takes no time at all to learn. Has anyone got any tips or know where i can get any training dvds? I am currently using a lynda.com dvd to start learning php anyone know anything better? thanx

Stay away from books that tell you to learn and master something in a certain amount of time. I would stick with O'Reilly books, For Dummies books are alright. I would also recommend you just look a code examples and snippets on the internet. Use tutorials, books, and online code snippets.

I agree how things can be confusing at first. Arrays, looping etc though are the fundamentals and once you see how you can use them in combination, you'll suddenly 'get it' and be able to build on this foundation which is critical.

Good luck!

If you have not had any real programming experience, getting a book is a good idea. I would check your local library first, before you go out and buy a book. Also, you might want to check out the PHP manual page. Even after you know the language, it is virtually impossible to remember all the functions, and it's a great reference page. Also, a good IDE might also be worth checking out, with nice features such as syntax hilighting, code folding, project management, code navigation, etc. Wiki has a nice comparison list of IDEs that is worth checking out.

IMO PHP is an easier language to learn because it requires minimal knowledge of low-level memory management and has several functions built into the language. However, learning to program can be difficult at first no matter what language is chosen. For me the most difficult time was the first six months or so, as making a bunch of "hello world" applications can get quite boring. It just takes time to train yourself to think in the right perspective.

As for materials, I would not suggest videos. Books are much more cost effective and cover more material. When looking at tutorials for PHP I'd also suggest only following ones from experiences developers, and not web designers. There are a lot of people who are good web designers and know basic PHP, but not enough to teach others properly. As stated previously, the PHP manual is a good reference. Do not worry about memorizing all the different parameters for every function. A good developer knows when to use what and usually refers to documentation for specifics.