Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

OpenSolaris 2008.11 Just Came Out!

52 posts in this topic

ill probably get solaris too work on the sun microsystems netra 1u sparc im getting tomorrow otherwise i will be poed if solaris doesnt work on sun server

Edited by dinscurge

ill probably get solaris too work on the sun microsystems netra 1u sparc im getting tomorrow otherwise i will be poed if solaris doesnt work on sun server

The Sun Netra X1 is almost identical to the Sun Fire v100 I have. In fact, I ordered a Sun Netra X1 on eBay but I received a Sun Fire v100 instead, the only difference was that the Sun Fire v100 has a CD drive. To install Solaris 10 on it, you will need to use the serial port (LOM - Lights Out Management). For this, you need an rj45 to db9 adapter.

A good link you might want to check: HOWTO: Installing Debian Linux on a SUN Netra X1/Fire V100

You can follow the same instructions in order to be able to start your Installation, the only difference being you don't put a Linux CD in your CD-ROM drive.

As said in the article, not a lot of CD-ROM drives work with the Sun Netra X1 if you try to open it and connect one, so you might as well try a network installation. Google "Jumpstart Solaris Installation" for that.

Be reassured, Solaris does work on Sun Servers, but not OpenSolaris (not yet, but I've heard the support for SPARC would be limited to processors more recent than the UltraSPARC IIe when OpenSolaris for SPARC will come out).

The Sun Netra X1 is almost identical to the Sun Fire v100 I have. In fact, I ordered a Sun Netra X1 on eBay but I received a Sun Fire v100 instead, the only difference was that the Sun Fire v100 has a CD drive. To install Solaris 10 on it, you will need to use the serial port (LOM - Lights Out Management). For this, you need an rj45 to db9 adapter.

A good link you might want to check: HOWTO: Installing Debian Linux on a SUN Netra X1/Fire V100

You can follow the same instructions in order to be able to start your Installation, the only difference being you don't put a Linux CD in your CD-ROM drive.

As said in the article, not a lot of CD-ROM drives work with the Sun Netra X1 if you try to open it and connect one, so you might as well try a network installation. Google "Jumpstart Solaris Installation" for that.

Be reassured, Solaris does work on Sun Servers, but not OpenSolaris (not yet, but I've heard the support for SPARC would be limited to processors more recent than the UltraSPARC IIe when OpenSolaris for SPARC will come out).

its a t1 105 i think, it came with a debian 3.1 r0a "sarge" sparc binary disk, but when tried to telnet the cpu i couldnt find it i scanned like 1000ips i made sure to plug the ethernet cable into the ethernet 0 not the serial rj45. gonna try again with ethernet 1 with disc in the drive.

its a t1 105 i think, it came with a debian 3.1 r0a "sarge" sparc binary disk, but when tried to telnet the cpu i couldnt find it i scanned like 1000ips i made sure to plug the ethernet cable into the ethernet 0 not the serial rj45. gonna try again with ethernet 1 with disc in the drive.

Even if you power it on manually with the on/off switch, it won't boot by itself. You need to use the LOM (Lights Out Management) port, the one which says serial (that's where the rj45 to db9 adapter comes in handy). If you're connecting the LOM port to your Linux machine, use minicom. Google for a guide on how to configure minicom correctly for your Sun Netra. Once you have minicom set up correctly, you can send your Sun Netra the "poweron" command, followed by "boot". Typing boot alone will boot the default boot device, but you could tell it to boot something else. Try typing help for more information on the available commands. So yeah, simply trying to power it on with the on/off switch should not let you telnet to it, even if telnet is enabled on the computer, as the os probably doesn't even boot. How do you know telnet is enabled? I would expect maybe ssh to be enabled on an unknown Debian installation, but not Telnet.

Also, you a probably better off just not caring about what is currently installed on it, just download either a more recent version of Debian (Latest is 5.0) or Solaris 10 for SPARC, and install it.

Even if you power it on manually with the on/off switch, it won't boot by itself. You need to use the LOM (Lights Out Management) port, the one which says serial (that's where the rj45 to db9 adapter comes in handy). If you're connecting the LOM port to your Linux machine, use minicom. Google for a guide on how to configure minicom correctly for your Sun Netra. Once you have minicom set up correctly, you can send your Sun Netra the "poweron" command, followed by "boot". Typing boot alone will boot the default boot device, but you could tell it to boot something else. Try typing help for more information on the available commands. So yeah, simply trying to power it on with the on/off switch should not let you telnet to it, even if telnet is enabled on the computer, as the os probably doesn't even boot. How do you know telnet is enabled? I would expect maybe ssh to be enabled on an unknown Debian installation, but not Telnet.

i dont know i looked up documents on google and installation guide to netra with solaris said hook it up telnet in and type in boot im guessing that was for the factory pre installed solaris, http://dlc.sun.com/pdf/806-4707-10/806-4707-10.pdf (its like 5mb) now just have to buy a ethernet cable and a serial cable and flip the pins so pin 8 on the rj45 is pin 1 on the serial. then i just have to get another computer to boot debian on or get luckyy and debian will boot on my tower now that im using my intel card for raid, otherwise have to try doing it from virtualbox.

i dont know i looked up documents on google and installation guide to netra with solaris said hook it up telnet in and type in boot im guessing that was for the factory pre installed solaris, http://dlc.sun.com/pdf/806-4707-10/806-4707-10.pdf (its like 5mb) now just have to buy a ethernet cable and a serial cable and flip the pins so pin 8 on the rj45 is pin 1 on the serial. then i just have to get another computer to boot debian on or get luckyy and debian will boot on my tower now that im using my intel card for raid, otherwise have to try doing it from virtualbox.

Yeah, Telnet is probably provided by the OS itself. I don't think it can be accessed through Telnet when no OS is currently running. I you can manage to build the adapter by yourself, that's great, in my case I bought mine from prime electronics. The part number is Sun 530-3100. Here is a detailed description of where each pin goes if you want to try making your own: 530-3100.

i would build my own but i dont have a female rj45, its not expensive so doesn't matter really, it would be nicer anyways then i can change the cable length lols. i got lucky though i can probably get my money back from the server, because it came with a fiberoptic card in it i could probably sell for like $50 i paid for the server. o wells gonna try debian on my desktop think i have windows oon the d drive..

i would build my own but i dont have a female rj45, its not expensive so doesn't matter really, it would be nicer anyways then i can change the cable length lols. i got lucky though i can probably get my money back from the server, because it came with a fiberoptic card in it i could probably sell for like $50 i paid for the server. o wells gonna try debian on my desktop think i have windows oon the d drive..

Installing Debian GNU/Linux is always good, but maybe you can get around that if you can manage to find a bootable distro with minicom on it.

Installing Debian GNU/Linux is always good, but maybe you can get around that if you can manage to find a bootable distro with minicom on it.

i tried booting debian with the different scsi raid but it errored like ubuntu did and couldnt mount the cd drive, something with the bios i think, it'll work if i try again but dont know how to set up duel boot really because is never worked. dont get why it didnt work in the firstplace like every distro i tried had aic7xxx which aparently is the driver for both of the scsi raids i have.

think its a problem with the bios, when ever i start the computer it checks the 16mb agp vid card says theres no bios and then it installs the bios. think its the bios because the error doesn't happen every time and all of the hardware is supported.

i tried booting debian with the different scsi raid but it errored like ubuntu did and couldnt mount the cd drive, something with the bios i think, it'll work if i try again but dont know how to set up duel boot really because is never worked. dont get why it didnt work in the firstplace like every distro i tried had aic7xxx which aparently is the driver for both of the scsi raids i have.

think its a problem with the bios, when ever i start the computer it checks the 16mb agp vid card says theres no bios and then it installs the bios. think its the bios because the error doesn't happen every time and all of the hardware is supported.

If you can post the complete error message, I can try to help you out. Did you try the IRC channel for Debian?

Yeah, Telnet is probably provided by the OS itself. I don't think it can be accessed through Telnet when no OS is currently running. I you can manage to build the adapter by yourself, that's great, in my case I bought mine from prime electronics. The part number is Sun 530-3100. Here is a detailed description of where each pin goes if you want to try making your own: 530-3100.

Actually telnet is provided by the ALOM (advanced lights out management) not the OS. You can actually telnet\ssh into a Sun box with no OS, and then use ALOM to install a new operating system as it provides a virtual console to the machine. I'm not sure if the particular Netra that dinscurge is talking about has ALOM, but if the documents are saying to telnet in then the documents may be correct.

The problem may just be that the ALOM on your Netra is configured with a static IP that's in some RFC1918 range that you're not using. If the server is a refurbished system and you don't care about any of the data on it, I would just reset the ALOM which should set it as DHCP and let you get into the machine.

If you can post the complete error message, I can try to help you out. Did you try the IRC channel for Debian?

not yet, it just hangs when it says its searching hardware for cd drive i've let it just sit before and it wont find it in like half an hour, but it doesnt do it every time, just hope it doesnt do what ubuntu did and format/encrypt everytthing then when restart it says "cannot find operating system" then it tries the cd drive.

i think my netra just has lom i reread the bit about telneting and said i have to have the lom cable plugged in then i can telnet?

not yet, it just hangs when it says its searching hardware for cd drive i've let it just sit before and it wont find it in like half an hour, but it doesnt do it every time, just hope it doesnt do what ubuntu did and format/encrypt everytthing then when restart it says "cannot find operating system" then it tries the cd drive.

i think my netra just has lom i reread the bit about telneting and said i have to have the lom cable plugged in then i can telnet?

If you have the LOM port connected to the serial port of your computer, you won't get Telnet, you'll get a LOM prompt. The LOM prompt allows you to send the commands you need to manage your system. Here is a sample LOM prompt, where I typed "help" to get a list of all the possible commands LOM can accept:

Welcome to minicom 2.3

OPTIONS: I18n
Compiled on Feb 25 2008, 03:47:42.
Port /dev/ttyS1

Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

lom>help
The following commands are supported:
alarmon
alarmoff
check
console
environment
faulton
faultoff
help
poweron
poweroff
reset
shutdown
show
version
set
break
bootmode
loghistory
showlogs
consolehistory
chist
date
showdate
logout
userpassword
useradd
userdel
userperm
usershow
lom>

If you have the LOM port connected to the serial port of your computer, you won't get Telnet, you'll get a LOM prompt. The LOM prompt allows you to send the commands you need to manage your system.

yeah that makes more sense :D

finally got my adapter in the mail, could not get debian running on a cpu but have minicom v 1.83.1 running on dsl via apt, just not sure how to get it to work

finally got my adapter in the mail, could not get debian running on a cpu but have minicom v 1.83.1 running on dsl via apt, just not sure how to get it to work

I understand you have no idea how to get it to work, but I can't make sense out of your sentence. You can't install Debian ON a CPU, and what do you mean by having minicom running on dsl via apt? Ok, I guess you mean you can't install Debian, and you've installed minicom using apt-get.

This guide should get you started on how to configure minicom.

The guide lacks configuration for the Sun Netra T1, but it should be close enough. The manual from Sun should also give you more details about LOM. You need to connect a regular ethernet cable in your Serial A port (it doesn't look like a serial port, but simply like an ethernet port, and it should say 'A' over it). You need to connect the other end of the ethernet cable in your adapter, and then you connect your adapter to your computer's serial port. If you haven't changed permission on your serial port file (/dev/ttyS0, I assume) you will need to log in as root first, and then try to use it. Start minicom and configure it as shown in the guide I gave you the link. I you have multiple db9 (serial) ports, then it may not be /dev/ttyS0.

After configuration, if you can get a prompt like the one I posted in my previous post, then it has been configured correctly. From there you can try powering on your machine (poweron command) and then booting it (boot command). "help" gives you a list of all available commands.

This should also help you out. What about installing Solaris 10 instead?

yeah i have minicom running got with apt-get i had the cable plugged in with the adapter ect, just didnt know what commands/keys to use in minicom to get it to connect, i got windows connected to it with hyperterminal. pprobably installing debian because it would take forever to download the dvd or the 5 cd's when i only download at like 68kbs

yeah i have minicom running got with apt-get i had the cable plugged in with the adapter ect, just didnt know what commands/keys to use in minicom to get it to connect, i got windows connected to it with hyperterminal. pprobably installing debian because it would take forever to download the dvd or the 5 cd's when i only download at like 68kbs

For Debian, just download the "netinst" iso. It is a minimal install CD that downloads only the packages you need as you are installing them. This should be fine enough for your low-speed internet connection.

For Debian, just download the "netinst" iso. It is a minimal install CD that downloads only the packages you need as you are installing them. This should be fine enough for your low-speed internet connection.

yeah i know damn 100mbps connection :D, got a kernel panic when tried booting debian netinst. as far as i can tell its because the silo 1.4.9 boot loader doesnt allow selection for cd so it tries to boot off the hd which doesnt have all of the files so it panics, i've tried booting 1-8 but it doesnt do anything from 4-8 just restarts and there isnt a device, 2 and 3 says they arent executable, and 1 just panics.

yeah i know damn 100mbps connection :D, got a kernel panic when tried booting debian netinst. as far as i can tell its because the silo 1.4.9 boot loader doesnt allow selection for cd so it tries to boot off the hd which doesnt have all of the files so it panics, i've tried booting 1-8 but it doesnt do anything from 4-8 just restarts and there isnt a device, 2 and 3 says they arent executable, and 1 just panics.

1) There is no SILO boot loader, maybe you meant LILO? Debian uses GRUB, not LILO.

2) I need some precision here, which Debian installation are you talking about: the one on the Sun Netra, or are you trying to install Debian on the computer that is connected to your Sun Netra in order to get minicom?

i suppose it could be lilo, and i am trying to install debian onto my netra im using hyperterminal to access lom on it. im not sure what is loaded on the netra now just that it does not work because there are some missing files i forget exactly which file but i can post a screen shot later. well the bootloader does allow booting from a cd i am just not sure how as i have never seen it before, the options it gave me when typing in "?" or "help" in the boot prompt was that it can boot 1-8 different iso/devs and that you would type in 1-8 for whichever one you wanted if you knew which was which. and it also said if i/the user used lilo.conf you could type in a codename for the dev/iso so i tried all 1-8, cd, livecd, live cd, live, as i figured those would be the most common codenames for booting from the cd drive. the bootloader also said you could type in directly which dev/path you wanted to boot. thats about all i know as of now but i can get exact names/errors later as its too late to start up a rackmount and a desktop thats slightly loader than a rackmount.

yeah its probably an older version of lilo as it doesnt provide any graphical selections to select just a prompt.

edit: it was silo lols http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SILO_(boot_loader) according to wiki* just have to hit tab when i try next time

Edited by dinscurge

i suppose it could be lilo, and i am trying to install debian onto my netra im using hyperterminal to access lom on it. im not sure what is loaded on the netra now just that it does not work because there are some missing files i forget exactly which file but i can post a screen shot later. well the bootloader does allow booting from a cd i am just not sure how as i have never seen it before, the options it gave me when typing in "?" or "help" in the boot prompt was that it can boot 1-8 different iso/devs and that you would type in 1-8 for whichever one you wanted if you knew which was which. and it also said if i/the user used lilo.conf you could type in a codename for the dev/iso so i tried all 1-8, cd, livecd, live cd, live, as i figured those would be the most common codenames for booting from the cd drive. the bootloader also said you could type in directly which dev/path you wanted to boot. thats about all i know as of now but i can get exact names/errors later as its too late to start up a rackmount and a desktop thats slightly loader than a rackmount.

yeah its probably an older version of lilo as it doesnt provide any graphical selections to select just a prompt.

edit: it was silo lols http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SILO_(boot_loader) according to wiki* just have to hit tab when i try next time

That's my bad, I really thought SILO was a typo, but yeah, you're right, it is a bootloader for SPARC Linux. Maybe the current Debian installation expects to use a network resource, such as a network drive? If you can get hyperterminal to work then I would not bother much to make the current installation working, I would simply install my own, overwriting the previous one.

yeah i was trying to but it didnt boot cd before silo so if i had the cd in it still went to the silo loader but tab will probably show the debain cd

have no idea but still not showing/booting the cd. i pressed tab in silo and got;

post-15812-1237993909_thumb.jpg

which shows 6 partitions, but dont see how to boot from the cd.

but they all boot the same broken linux;

post-15812-1237993895_thumb.jpg

finally found the silo website so got to the sun loader which should be able to get it working

Edited by dinscurge

"boot" boots the default boot device. Do "boot cdrom" at the LOM prompt in order to boot from the CD-ROM.