samo

Scan A Day Project

89 posts in this topic

Hey everybody. I had been thinking of ways to pump some life into the scene, and I came up with a group project that would post a scan a day on these forums. Basically, I/the scene needs a group of seven dedicated phone phreaks, hopefully with some un-posted "backup" scans in hand, who would be designated a day of the week to post a scan of 100 or more numbers. They don't have to be amazing scans, just complete scans - even if they're all the same NIS recording or something equally as boring. So, well, Who is in? A scan a week, truly, is not hard to do. But a scan a day on the forums would make a huge difference. So far, me and thoughtphreaker are included in the Scanning Seven (isn't that clever?), so five more are needed. I won't be picking favorites, I just need five good men (or girls, yeah right) who are committed. I'm not going to be the leader of this once it's organized - it's a project for the scene, by the scene, and all changes to membership, removal and admittance, will be voted on by the group. For now, membership is going to be decided on by a first-come-first-serve basis. Backup scans aren't necessary, but they'd be nice. Preferably, if you sign up for this, you already scan or have scanned somewhat frequently. And any suggestions or advice would be very appreciated.

I'll join ye, if ye'll have me. I can scan any of 206/425/360/253 (Western Washington, LATA 674) and toll-free; regrettably I don't have unlimited LD.

Edited by chronomex

This sounds like a great idea. I could help out with a few backup scans I've done, but I can't commit to a scan a week right now.

I'll join ye, if ye'll have me. I can scan any of 206/425/360/253 (Western Washington, LATA 674) and toll-free; regrettably I don't have unlimited LD.

Chronomex, I'm pretty much in the same boat. Local or toll free scans should be fine. I think local ones might be a bit better, toll free scans are generally less interesting in my opinion. But that's only my opinion - if you or others would like toll free's to be included in this, then it shall be done.

This sounds like a great idea. I could help out with a few backup scans I've done, but I can't commit to a scan a week right now.

Thanks JmanA9, that would be great. I don't they'll be necessary just yet, but I'll PM you sometime in the future if that's okay. I'd rather not ask you to send them to me now, I'd feel strange withholding other people's scans. And if you ever can scan weekly, you're more than welcome to join - I remember a few scans and numbers that you've posted being really cool. And what is the general opinion on including UK toll - free numbers in this?

I remember a few years ago we tried this..

I'd be willing to help out. Personally I think we should take any scans we can get. I really enjoy overseas scans.

I can handle one a week. I was just reminded by ic0n about a month or so ago of a 1,000 or so numbers I scanned out just in case I miss a week.

I don't mind contributing scan's here from the UK, it can only be once a week though. I've got 1 backup scan, the rest are posted elsewhere

RP

^_^ Once a PlanetPhreaker Always a PlanetPhreaker Samo!

Count me in, I'll start doing midnight phreaks with my girlfreind again.

Do you need scans of the New York Metropolitan Area or has that been documented well enough?

After reading the posts, I recommend a scan a week. This gives people a cycle to complete a scan, increases longevity by reducing burnout and still provides life and anticipation. Just think, the BinRev Weekly Scan, an RSS feed, a short HPR ep to talk about the scan...

Here's the form that I use. "From" is the phone number, NPA, or whatever you want to say about where you're scanning from.

If anyone wants a zero-first version, I can do that too.

handscan.pdf

nice stuff chronomex, it's better than the other scan sheet that I have on PnG. I think for now until we get more people in the loop and helping out with this project we may want to do weekly scans. Also I could host stuff on PnG if needed.

Alright. The seven involved in this, for now, are to be - chronomex, thoughtphreaker, ic0n, Rpm, IndexPhinger, radio_phreak, and I, with back up scans from JmanA9, and anyone else who wants to - they'd be very, very appreciated, if you could just PM me them, that'd be great. Sidepocket, those scans would be more than welcome.

Dual and ic0n, I know where you're coming from, projects don't really seem to last long in the phreaking scene. But really, a scan takes around a half hour, and with cell phones, can be done anywhere. I don't think a weekly scan (per person) is such a daunting task that it would set this project up to fail. And I'm sure we'll get a good amount of backup scans. This kind of needs to be done to get things going again, and definitely can be done. I think waiting for things to liven up would just make things worse.

I don't want to seem like I'm jumping the gun on this, but does Sunday (the seventh) work as a starting date? And do these days work for posting scans?If the consensus is that a weekly scan would be better, then never mind this part. And I imagine that the scanners would just post the scans themselves.

Sunday – ic0n

Monday – chronomex

Tuesday – samo

Wednesday – Rpm

Thursday – thoughtphreaker

Friday – radio_phreak

Saturday - IndexPhinger

Advice, objections, whatever, would be great.

Edited by samo

^_^ I'm going to scan for strange things up here in the 800 area code.

Me and my girlfreind (NinjaStation) are gonna hit it up, expect 2 lists samo.

Edited by IndexPhinger

Sunday is no good for me.. I'm pretty busy over the weekends any other day would be cool for me. Also we need to somewhat stay in the same format for the scans. Everyone agree with using handscan.net and BMML/PML? (Bell's Mind Markup Language/Phreak Markup Language)

I'm cool with handscan.net. Been using it since I've heard about it.

Anyways-I'ma scan 100 or more tomorrow night for sure.

Friday is fine by me. I spoke to ic0n last night and told him about my scans. The one I am working on at the moment is 10 random numbers in 10 random British cities. My provider gives me unlimited free anytime calls to 38 international countries, so expect a few foreign scans from me, as opposed to just UK and US centric scans.

It would be great if we could get some more international representation, international scans are always damn interesting, does anyone know if those international toll free numbers still exist?

RP

It would be great if we could get some more international representation, international scans are always damn interesting, does anyone know if those international toll free numbers still exist?

Country code 800 is still allocated, you can find routable numbers by prefix. Start at +800 0000 0000 and go up from there, I think they're allocated that way. Zeros and ones aren't special in their allocation, unlike most other country codes.

Alright guys, I'm sorry for the confusion, but thoughtphreaker suggested a posting system for this project that would probably work much better. Instead of assigning a day for each scanner to post, each scanner would post on whatever day of the week they feel like. This makes it less formal and not daily, but it eliminates hunting down people for scans, and I'm sure will help this project last longer. All seven scans could be "due" on friday, and if any were missing, backup scans could be posted on saturday.

Another option is to submit the seven scans to a single member, or maybe a restricted-access board only viewable by the scanners for a whopping seven-scan release at the end of the week. All scans could be "due" on friday, and backups could be submitted on saturday before posting.

Dual and ic0n, if this was what you were talking about, sorry for being so damn retarded. Feedback?

Alright guys, I'm sorry for the confusion, but thoughtphreaker suggested a posting system for this project that would probably work much better. Instead of assigning a day for each scanner to post, each scanner would post on whatever day of the week they feel like. This makes it less formal and not daily, but it eliminates hunting down people for scans, and I'm sure will help this project last longer. All seven scans could be "due" on friday, and if any were missing, backup scans could be posted on saturday.

Another option is to submit the seven scans to a single member, or maybe a restricted-access board only viewable by the scanners for a whopping seven-scan release at the end of the week. All scans could be "due" on friday, and backups could be submitted on saturday before posting.

Dual and ic0n, if this was what you were talking about, sorry for being so damn retarded. Feedback?

I like the Idea of a private board...it gives it some awesomeness.

Who's with me?

I was thinking more of telephreak style BBS, a lot more safer and secure, get port knocking sorted and away you go. :)

I was thinking more of telephreak style BBS, a lot more safer and secure, get port knocking sorted and away you go. :)

Dude, stop living in the past. Use Gopher instead, join the rest of us in the 21st century.

*checks* ... This forum software doesn't support Gopher links? The hell? How dare they!

gopher://g.xrtc.net/1/phreaking/

Dude, stop living in the past. Use Gopher instead, join the rest of us in the 21st century.

*checks* ... This forum software doesn't support Gopher links? The hell? How dare they!

gopher://g.xrtc.net/1/phreaking/

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA..

I think that if it's possible, one scan should be posted a day. It gives people something to look forward to every day of the week instead of just one day of the week when 7 scans are posted. I do think the idea of people posting the scans as soon as they're done with them is good. That way, as you said, samo, you don't have to hunt the people down for their scans. It should probably be done on a private board. You don't want anybody peeking ahead, do you ;)

It's definitely doable. Per the handscan.net thread, I bought scanaday.net and I'll set up a simple upload and index for the scans. Then we'll assign a couple of trusted people to upload the files. Not for my ego, we must agree on file naming and format. I suggest

20081206_555-555-99xx.scan.txt

for the file name format, which is ISO 8601 date, scan range and scan.txt extension. And then use BM2L for the content. That way we can easily put scans in a database as the project matures.

I'm really excited about this. Great idea, samo!

Edited by dual