Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cyberpunk

Problems with Installing Ubuntu Linux

54 posts in this topic

Alright, here's my annoying, recursive, and yet to be completed journey with installing Ubuntu Linux.

First I downloaded the ISO from the MIT Media Lab mirror. I burned it onto a disk, and checked the disk to make sure everything was right. Everything was in order, so I proceeded to installing it.

Before I had started installing it, I had two partitions on my Windows Vista system, C: and D:. The D: partition was empty, the C: partition had Windows installed. I deleted the D: partition, and this left 68.56 GB of unallocated space on my 160 GB hard drive. Excellent, now I can use the "Use largest continuous free space" option in the Ubuntu installer and it will create a boot and swap partition for Ubuntu automatically using the unallocated space, and leave the Windows partition alone, as well as install the GRUB bootloader.

Unfortunately, when the installer was at 22%, it stopped and have me an error, something about either my install disk was bad, or my system was overheating. So it quit and I went to the Windows partition manager to find that the installer had already created the Ubuntu partitions. So I deleted them and tried the install again in a more cool area. Same error. Again I deleted the partitions that Ubuntu would have used.

Then I noticed that my install disk had a few nasty scratches, so I got a nice new shiny disk and burned a new image, made sure it was done right, etc.

I decided to try and see if this new disk will work. But when I selected the "Use largest continuous free space" option again, something just didn't seem right. The installer seemed to say it was going to use my whole disk for Ubuntu (and in that case, I'd lose my Windows) and that's not what I wanted, I wanted to double boot. Here is an image.

huh.png

See the little "before" and "after" bars up there? They look the same on the "Use largest continuous free space" option (which it is on in the image) as they do on the "Use entire disk" option. It says that it's going to use "100%" of the disk for Ubuntu. And that is not what I want.

I've checked the partition manager on both Ubuntu and Windows and it says that the only partitions are two NTFS (one big one, one small one, I'm guessing the big one is for Windows, the small is for swap) and the rest as unallocated.

So my question is, why does it want to supposedly use my entire disk on the "Use largest continuous free space" option now? Isn't largest continuous free space supposed to be unallocated? I have 68.56 GB of it! That's plenty of room.

Oh, and the other question is, am I right about it wanting to use all my whole hard drive, or am I looking at it wrong and it's not actually doing that? lol

I didn't see this mentioned above but is this new hard drive set to "slave" instead of master?

Honestly I've only had luck with using the installer to "re-size" my windows partition.

IE, do a fresh windows install on the ENTIRE hard drive. Then defrag the drive in windows. Then reboot and run the ubuntu installer. It might work the way your doing it but that is the way I was able to get it to work when I first started using ubuntu 3 years ago and I haven't tried any way else.

I didn't see this mentioned above but is this new hard drive set to "slave" instead of master?

"New" hard drive?

Honestly I've only had luck with using the installer to "re-size" my windows partition.

IE, do a fresh windows install on the ENTIRE hard drive. Then defrag the drive in windows. Then reboot and run the ubuntu installer. It might work the way your doing it but that is the way I was able to get it to work when I first started using ubuntu 3 years ago and I haven't tried any way else.

A fresh Windows install?! You mean delete the whole disk and install Windows all over?! I never even got a disk when I bought my computer.

Have you tried the first option? Resize the partition? 82+18=100. Can't you grab the slider bar and resize it how you want it? It should use all the free space, as well as resizing the vista partition to what you want it at.

Have you tried the first option? Resize the partition? 82+18=100. Can't you grab the slider bar and resize it how you want it? It should use all the free space, as well as resizing the vista partition to what you want it at.

Are you sure this will work?

Are you sure this will work?

You should try and see if the slider bar moves first, but yeah I think it may work. It shouldn't remove the windows partition, but just resize it. Of course, I've never really played well with Ubuntu.

The slider will only make the Ubuntu side smaller, not bigger. It won't let me make the 82% side (Windows) smaller.

"New" hard drive?

A fresh Windows install?! You mean delete the whole disk and install Windows all over?! I never even got a disk when I bought my computer.

I am talking about on the hard drive its self. The jumpers (usually located on the top). When the HDD is fresh out of the box it's usually set to Master drive. I pretty sure dual-booting requires too have your HDD set to slave, correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.recovery-soft.com/resource/imag...rive-jumper.gif

Oh... wow, flashback lol. I remember playing with those little jumpers from an old computer that was fried a long time ago when I was a little kid!

Unfortunately, I have a laptop and can't access those jumpers. -_-

Oh... wow, flashback lol. I remember playing with those little jumpers from an old computer that was fried a long time ago when I was a little kid!

Unfortunately, I have a laptop and can't access those jumpers. -_-

What kind of laptop are you using, you might still be able to access it?

I am talking about on the hard drive its self. The jumpers (usually located on the top). When the HDD is fresh out of the box it's usually set to Master drive. I pretty sure dual-booting requires too have your HDD set to slave, correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think the jumpers need to be fiddled with at all. I've never had to do it. I think that it may be easier just to resize the partition manually, or even resizing it through vista's nifty little disk management program.

What kind of laptop are you using, you might still be able to access it?

Acer Aspire

I don't think the jumpers need to be fiddled with at all. I've never had to do it. I think that it may be easier just to resize the partition manually, or even resizing it through vista's nifty little disk management program.

That's good that the jumpers probably don't have to be touched. But I'd rather resize the partition in the installer. I don't have much space left on my Windows partition as it is.

So what you're saying is that if I use the resize thing that it will take off as much space as I set with the slider from the Windows partition for the Ubuntu, then use the unallocated space for anything else it needs? Because I'm afraid it will just use the lousy 18 GB it has there.

Maybe you need to use a different partitioning program. Like Partition Magic 8.0

Maybe you need to use a different partitioning program. Like Partition Magic 8.0

Thanks for the info, but first I want to see if I can get this done with what I have now lol.

Edit:\

I used Disk Management on Vista to shrink the partition, but have the same problem as Cyberpunk. Now, after I quited and retried, I do not have a "use largest continuous space" or "resize partition option". Use all, manual and the resize (without the bar) options are all that is left and say it will take 100% of the disk.

Edited by Demonic_angel

1. How many partitions did you start with?

2. Which partition did you shrink? The one with your Windows on it?

I started with 2. The Windows (C:) and, D: which was set aside for recovery and was half full.

Yes, I resized the windows partition.

Here is what it looks like now.

post-12187-1227854994_thumb.jpg

Edited by Demonic_angel

I've had problems with this to, it screwed my Ubuntu server install. I prefer the previous edition of the partitioner for sure.

I was also having issues with this as well. After a couple of attempts, I just configured my partitions manualy, and boom it worked fine.

./edit

#re-phrasing

Edited by xxXXsh4rk80YXXxx

You don't need extra software to resize your partitions or w/e. Have you looked at the manual install? Try that. I believe I "manually" resized my partition or w/e. At first I had xp, then installed ubuntu 8.04. I think I remember being a little freaked out by what ubuntu was trying to do, but as I recall I just chose the manual option and it lets you choose to "use the largest freespace" on your hdd. Also, you don't have to mess with any jumpers. I didn't. I would imagine you've already looked through the manual option though.

Alright, I think it would be best to install manually.

With my anyways, I have unallocated space to create the Ubuntu partitions on.

Alright so I'll have the swap 2 GB and the / (please tell me if that is the correct slash) for Ubuntu.

But there seem to be a lot of other options with manual too... does anyone know what to do with those?

Alright, I think it would be best to install manually.

With my anyways, I have unallocated space to create the Ubuntu partitions on.

Alright so I'll have the swap 2 GB and the / (please tell me if that is the correct slash) for Ubuntu.

But there seem to be a lot of other options with manual too... does anyone know what to do with those?

Forward-slashes are used for linux "/" (Windows uses "\").

But I don't think you need a forward-slash in front of the swap partition.

EDIT: Also make at least 10GB for free space, and GRUB boot-loader is installed by default so once your done installing Ubuntu and you reboot it should display both OS's.

Edited by phasma

EDIT: Also make at least 10GB for free space

On what? The partition where Ubuntu will actually be installed? I think I'll want a little more than that. =P I have 65 GB of available unallocated space.

I suggest you give yourself at least 20 GB for your root partition. I recently installed Kubuntu onto a machine with limited HDD space and allowed it only about a 12 GB partition for /. Within a couple months (after installing a bunch of random apps) the / partition began running out of space, which caused all sorts of problems. Firefox wouldn't play any streaming or Flash content, D0lphin and Konqueror kept crashing whenever I copied large files or opened certain directories, I got all sorts of strange errors while performing routine tasks... Eventually it got to the point where I was cleaning out my /tmp directory every other day, but the problems only kept getting worse. Long story short, I ended up buying a new hard drive, backing everything up to that and then using a Parted Magic LiveCD to repartition my system drive all over again. It was a major pain in the ass.

Moral of the story: Don't be stingy with your system partition size. I'd say give yourself at least 20-30GB for /, twice your RAM size for swap (or maybe a little more than twice, in case you plan on adding more RAM later), and make the rest of the free space into a user partition, mountable at /home.

Edited by Colonel Panic