Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
owoutthat

Device Hacking

12 posts in this topic

Hello there, this is my first post on this website and I kinda want some help with a few questions that I have about device hacking. For me, I really like to know how stuff works, what makes it tick, and how I can totally f*** it up... One thing that I really want to do is use my two favorite styles of programming (C++, Java) to exploit devices. I do however also want to learn website hacking as well as computers, but I want to learn how to hack devices first...

What do I mean by devices?

- Anything that you use that uses technology

- Gaming systems

- Handheld devices

- Cell phones

- Even GPS systems...

So what I want to learn is basically how to screw around with stuff. :P

Well I said before that I had questions and here they are. I would really like it if people would answer these questions as nicely as they can and if you have any questions about what I'm asking then please say so.

My first question is...

- Is there anyway that I can somehow inject C++ (I'm talking something like how you inject SQL into a website) or Java into a device that will make it do something different? (IE. Make a Nintendo DS into some sort of computer or a tablet to where I can run MS Word and IExplore...)

- How can I use Java to exploit cell phones? (I know that some phones run on Java and some don't... But mine does so thats why I'm wondering)

- Can I use a "hacked" device to hack other things (IE. Use a cell phone to hack something... Yeah I know I'm going crazy minded but it's just an example)

- Can I use Blutooth to exploit stuff (IE. Get a Blutooth USB port for my computer and then somehow hack stuff with it)

- Can I use my PS3 to hack stuff as well? (The reason I ask this is because it uses memory cards and the Internet so... yeah)

Well those are all my questions that I have so far... However I probably have some more later on, and I'll probably visit the C++ section as well

Well thanks for any help that you give me, it is really appreciated... You might be brewing a new crazy hacker... Just kidding...

Thanks,

- Mimz

- Is there anyway that I can somehow inject C++ (I'm talking something like how you inject SQL into a website) or Java into a device that will make it do something different? (IE. Make a Nintendo DS into some sort of computer or a tablet to where I can run MS Word and IExplore...)

I am definitely not an expert on devices like the ones you are talking about, but I do know you would have to use some type of low level programming language to overwrite the firmware with. I really don't think it's possible to inject a high-level language (C++ or Java) into a device like that. It would need something it could understand. If you wanted to get further I would suggest learning about electronic chips and other fun stuff like that and maybe learn assembly code. I hope I helped in some fashion. :)

Well I bet if I knew the style of programming that the games where made from then I might be able to... I mean I know XBox uses C# and they base theirs from Visual C#, however I think Nintendo might use C or C++ for their games because thats what most video game designers now a days use... Some browser based games use Java though so idk...

But anyways thanks for the idea

You should look for specific devices, and see if you can somehow alter the firmware. One of my friends recently tried to get some program on his phone (maybe an emulator), but he couldn't because he couldn't find any ways to work around the firmware. I have an instructor who's working with some robots and C language. I'll ask him about the hardware/software and see if he knows of any way to "inject" a language into a device. Good first post.

Well I bet if I knew the style of programming that the games where made from then I might be able to... I mean I know XBox uses C# and they base theirs from Visual C#, however I think Nintendo might use C or C++ for their games because thats what most video game designers now a days use... Some browser based games use Java though so idk...

About the "inject" code...

What I meant was kinda use a... not a brute force but something like that... what the code would do is it would somehow overwrite or match the code and make it to where I can change the way it is. Think of like how in biology theres something called a bacteriophage and it injects its DNA into other bacteria so that it can infect it... That's what I want to do but with C++

What I meant was kinda use a... not a brute force but something like that... what the code would do is it would somehow overwrite or match the code and make it to where I can change the way it is. Think of like how in biology theres something called a bacteriophage and it injects its DNA into other bacteria so that it can infect it... That's what I want to do but with C++

I don't know if this is correct, but I think the way to overwrite the firmware is too upload the code from somewhere your device can download it from. You personally would have too write code that would delete the current stuff and install the new code. I have updated firmware for Zunes and iPods before but I never overwrote it entirely different. Updating is technically "overwriting" with a new more recent version. If I were you I would read up on firmware as much as I can so you can construct a good idea to overwrite Most device would probably run C or C++.

Wii: I know the Wii has two USB ports and Wifi and Bluetooth. All ways you could exploit for downloading. And the current firmware released was 3.0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmware

I don't know if this is correct, but I think the way to overwrite the firmware is too upload the code from somewhere your device can download it from. You personally would have too write code that would delete the current stuff and install the new code. I have updated firmware for Zunes and iPods before but I never overwrote it entirely different. Updating is technically "overwriting" with a new more recent version. If I were you I would read up on firmware as much as I can so you can construct a good idea to overwrite Most device would probably run C or C++.

Wii: I know the Wii has two USB ports and Wifi and Bluetooth. All ways you could exploit for downloading. And the current firmware released was 3.0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmware

The same with the PS3, XBox, and a whole bunch of other stuff... Every gaming console has a USB port in it... But you don't see many exploits for gaming consoles. So I want to figure out how to exploit them.

I mean people have "hacked" the Wiimote and made software so that a person could use it on a blackboard but make it a SmartBoard type thing. Also 3d perception too.

So if I can somehow figure out how to hack the system using a code then I might be able to make the system "my own"

Oh and that link gave me an idea... What if there was someway that I could modify the firmware chip in the gaming system to run differently...

Or take out that firmware chip and replace it with a new one which would essentially make the system not the system anymore but something totally different but still in the system's body...

I'm just thinking though...

Oh and that link gave me an idea... What if there was someway that I could modify the firmware chip in the gaming system to run differently...

Or take out that firmware chip and replace it with a new one which would essentially make the system not the system anymore but something totally different but still in the system's body...

There you go, you're thinking outside the box. Make sure you know how-to properly solder something, there goes a nice piece of technology. And the company who holds the warranty will find an irrelevant excuse not to replace it. Unless its like Dell or something.

Yeah well obviously before I actually start doing that I would have to research it more and learn how to solder before I even start taking apart the thing and then I need to figure out how to actually program the chip... At my high school they have a robotics class so I'll ask them about programming the chips and how to add them into the "brain" of the computer. But yeah thanks for the idea.

I suggest you take a look at the difference between compiled and interpreted languages. C++ is a compiled language, so what you write is converted into a machine understandable form. If you are looking to exploit any kind of programmed computing device you need to know much more than just C++. For a computer, it would probably be x86 assembly language. For a portable device it will be another variant of asm dependant on the device. The fact you are asking if you can run windows on a DS suggests you do not understand much about computer architectures. I would recommend a book called structured computer organisation as a good starting point (assuming you have some basic computer knowledge).

The rest of your questions kinda lead on from there, so I will leave it here. Hope this helps.

I suggest you take a look at the difference between compiled and interpreted languages. C++ is a compiled language, so what you write is converted into a machine understandable form. If you are looking to exploit any kind of programmed computing device you need to know much more than just C++. For a computer, it would probably be x86 assembly language. For a portable device it will be another variant of asm dependant on the device. The fact you are asking if you can run windows on a DS suggests you do not understand much about computer architectures. I would recommend a book called structured computer organisation as a good starting point (assuming you have some basic computer knowledge).

The rest of your questions kinda lead on from there, so I will leave it here. Hope this helps.

Yes I have sorta covered that topic with the other guy... What my intentions where is that I could overwrite the system code with another code. When you talk about how C++ is compiled into a computer readable form, you mean kinda like how Java has class files of which are read by the JRE downloadable file. Only with C++, it can be read no matter what and that I don't need an extra program to run it. So all I would essentially have to do is either

1. Find some way to get an editable source code for the device and then edit it that way

2. Make another code that essentially overwrites the original code