Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
indexphinger

Hack My Mac?

6 posts in this topic

I have a PowerMacintosh G4 that I am sharing with my freind, Its in pretty decent shape concidering it is an ex-school computer.

1 out of 2 usb ports is broken, one of the handles is horribly gibbled, the hard drive is cluttered, the front panel is busted and the original drives bought the farm. and the only MacOS 9 install Disc I have is for a iMac DV.

;) I'm installing Debian now, I hate MacOS but I have respect for PPC.

Should it be fast enough to be an acceptable hacker's rig?

Also, it uses a ATI Rage 128 16mb with AppleDisplayConnector, I tried putting in a similar ATI Rage 128 32mb AGP videocard, but it doesnt have that little extra gold connection bit...otherwise the one from the mac will work with my PC, but the PC one wont work with my mac...

I have a G3 ibook 800mhz running Debian, and its considerably faster then OS X 10.4.11, which is the latest version it can run. I'm using it with XFCE and it is much faster then OS X, having more up to date software is an added bonus.

I have a G3 ibook 800mhz running Debian, and its considerably faster then OS X 10.4.11, which is the latest version it can run. I'm using it with XFCE and it is much faster then OS X, having more up to date software is an added bonus.

I have an iBook G3 700mhz, I used to have sourcemage Linux installed on it. One downside is that flash has no linux ppc version. However, as I already have linux on my other computers, I reinstalled Mac OS X on it, as it is my only mac, so that I could explore a little bit the mac operating system. What really sucks is that I'm stuck at Mac OS X Tiger (10.4) as starting from Leopard (10.5) support for the G3 was dropped.

I have an iBook G3 700mhz, I used to have sourcemage Linux installed on it. One downside is that flash has no linux ppc version. However, as I already have linux on my other computers, I reinstalled Mac OS X on it, as it is my only mac, so that I could explore a little bit the mac operating system. What really sucks is that I'm stuck at Mac OS X Tiger (10.4) as starting from Leopard (10.5) support for the G3 was dropped.

The lack of flash support under PPC Linux is a mild irritant, but the overall experience is work sacrificing the use of flash on one of my many computers.

Linux should run well on a G4 PowerPC. I run it on a 700 MHz G4 iMac (one of the sunflower-looking ones). However, if you want to play around with OS X, a G4 PowerMac should be reasonable with OS X 10.4. I'd definitely take Linux over MacOS 9 any day, though. With either choice, you'll probably want some more RAM, though. Fortunately, the PowerMacs have a bunch of RAM slots, which /do/ work with regular PC133 SDRAM.

As to the AGP card, I'd heard somewhere a while back that there was some firmware difference between ATI cards that work on PCs and those made for Mac machines. There were some guys on eBay selling ATI cards re-flashed with Apple compatible firmware. I guess it's like the trick Apple used to do with their CD drives: they had a special firmware identifier on them. Without it, you could use the drive once the OS loaded (OS X, Linux, etc), but you couldn't boot from it. Sort of a nasty trick to force people into buying a generic device with your company's ID on it.

While generic AGP cards might not work, generic PCI cards should be fine. I added a USB 2.0 card to a Gigabit Ethernet PowerMac G4 DP, which works fine, and would solve your USB port problem. You should be able to add SCSI, FireWire, USB 2.0, SATA, etc to your machine, either under OS X or Linux.

EDIT: Oh, and your PowerMac should be able to boot from FireWire devices, in the event that your CD drives are toast. I used an external Firewire -> IDE enclosure with a DVD drive in it to install OS X from DVD on an iBook G3 (no DVD drive, CD only). You can even boot the OS X installer from a FireWire hard disk. I'd assume you can do the same with the Linux installer, but I haven't tried it. Oddly enough, though, non-Intel Macs can't boot from USB.

Edited by systems_glitch

Linux should run well on a G4 PowerPC. I run it on a 700 MHz G4 iMac (one of the sunflower-looking ones). However, if you want to play around with OS X, a G4 PowerMac should be reasonable with OS X 10.4. I'd definitely take Linux over MacOS 9 any day, though. With either choice, you'll probably want some more RAM, though. Fortunately, the PowerMacs have a bunch of RAM slots, which /do/ work with regular PC133 SDRAM.

As to the AGP card, I'd heard somewhere a while back that there was some firmware difference between ATI cards that work on PCs and those made for Mac machines. There were some guys on eBay selling ATI cards re-flashed with Apple compatible firmware. I guess it's like the trick Apple used to do with their CD drives: they had a special firmware identifier on them. Without it, you could use the drive once the OS loaded (OS X, Linux, etc), but you couldn't boot from it. Sort of a nasty trick to force people into buying a generic device with your company's ID on it.

While generic AGP cards might not work, generic PCI cards should be fine. I added a USB 2.0 card to a Gigabit Ethernet PowerMac G4 DP, which works fine, and would solve your USB port problem. You should be able to add SCSI, FireWire, USB 2.0, SATA, etc to your machine, either under OS X or Linux.

EDIT: Oh, and your PowerMac should be able to boot from FireWire devices, in the event that your CD drives are toast. I used an external Firewire -> IDE enclosure with a DVD drive in it to install OS X from DVD on an iBook G3 (no DVD drive, CD only). You can even boot the OS X installer from a FireWire hard disk. I'd assume you can do the same with the Linux installer, but I haven't tried it. Oddly enough, though, non-Intel Macs can't boot from USB.

Well, the drives were toast, andre already replaced them with a seagate and a DVD burner he had lying around, I nabbed the burner and chucked in a nice 52x LG i had lying around cause it "looked nicer" :P.

Its running with 1536mb of memory (1.5gb) and a 60gb seagate.

I'm buying a solder sucker for a few projects, my buddy andre is getting an iron, his dad's motherboard's 1st sata is damaged and I have a spare fried mobo that I can snag the sata off of for his dads and the USB off of to replace the one on the PMG4, so I can plug both of my input devices onboard and some stuff on the card.

Edited by IndexPhinger