Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sshblack

Confused about website

10 posts in this topic

I have designed a website for my father's small business and was about to upload it to the host, I think it's host papa if I remember. On friday we received an email from my father's company legal department saying that the website needed to be checked over before it went live. I agreed this would be a good idea to check over the site for any problems. The email asked us to send us a link to the website, which has confused me somewhat. How can I send them a link before the website goes live? Is there a way of inspecting a whole website before it goes live? I have suggested sending all the files over (all the html, pics, folders etc) but they said they just wanted a link.

What I'm asking is how can I send a link to my website so that people can browse it for issues without it being live on the internet?

Cheers.

Well, you could just upload it without telling anyone about it. It'll be "live," but nothing linking to it or anything. You can also add .htaccess authentication and remove it when you really want to "go live." These would be the easiest solutions. Though, maybe the lawyers are just looking for a few more billable hours. Why do they think it's necessary to look over the site first?

His company is part of a larger parent company and they have to check the legal mumbo jumbo because it's do with mortgages etc so it has be checked and approved.

I'm so confused what this email meant!

Might want to add a robots.txt file disallowing the directory it's in so Google etc don't start indexing before you want them to.

Might want to add a robots.txt file disallowing the directory it's in so Google etc don't start indexing before you want them to.

If you put it in a directory that nothing links to, Google won't find it anyway, so it shouldn't matter. In fact, Google shouldn't find the web site itself if there are no connections to it. I would just dump the web-page into a folder and send that person the URL to it.

Interesting. The reason I mentioned it is that I've bought domains, had no inbound links and yahoo typically first, Google normally afterwards have found them, I'm not saying sub-domains by themselves, my sites have had links to sub directories.

One reason I thought was that the search engines might be spidering the Whois sites, and also the Google Toolbar is believed to be used by Google in its own particular case.

I have designed a website for my father's small business and was about to upload it to the host, I think it's host papa if I remember. On friday we received an email from my father's company legal department saying that the website needed to be checked over before it went live. I agreed this would be a good idea to check over the site for any problems. The email asked us to send us a link to the website, which has confused me somewhat. How can I send them a link before the website goes live? Is there a way of inspecting a whole website before it goes live? I have suggested sending all the files over (all the html, pics, folders etc) but they said they just wanted a link.

What I'm asking is how can I send a link to my website so that people can browse it for issues without it being live on the internet?

Cheers.

You could host it live and authenticate it and email them the user and password to check it out, if your hosting service allows you to do that.

Cheers.

You could host it live and authenticate it and email them the user and password to check it out, if your hosting service allows you to do that.

Yeah. That is basically the same thing that Ohm said. It sounds like the best thing to do.

Interesting. The reason I mentioned it is that I've bought domains, had no inbound links and yahoo typically first, Google normally afterwards have found them, I'm not saying sub-domains by themselves, my sites have had links to sub directories.

One reason I thought was that the search engines might be spidering the Whois sites, and also the Google Toolbar is believed to be used by Google in its own particular case.

That may be... but a directory on your site will not b found by google if nothing links to it.