Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
0mega24

Which WM would you guys recomend

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys! I'm posting this using links on my brand new Arch x86_64 installation (it was a bitch getting the wireless card going). I'm at the stage where I need to choose a window manager to use and I'm having trouble making up my mind. I've been using gnome with Ubuntu up until now, but I'm getting tired of it's interface. I've been doing some reasearch and I like the *box style of window managers, (lightweight, no panel/bar) however I don't want to give up all the asthetics that I've become used too. I would idealy like to be able to use things like OpenGL, wxWidgets, and other graphical programs (I'm not sure if the WM has anything to do with this). I'm not afraid to get down and dirty with configuration files or the workings of the OS, actually thats the whole reason I'm switching to Arch (I want to be able to tweak it as much as possible). So... Which one do you guys think will work best for me?

Fluxbox is nice. If you're looking to mess with configuration files and such, any of the box's would be good. And you can still use the programs you're used to as well.

you might want to give XFCE a try. Just a curiosity, what didn't you like in gnome?

Window manager has nothing to do with being able to use OpenGL, wxwidgets, etc. It's also something that's really up to you. Try some, use one you like. I usually use gnome, but only because that's the default and I don't think it matters enough to change. On a restrictive machine with limited resources, I like Fluxbox.

Good Day to You all. I prefer KDE and on limited resources Fluxbox as my wm. KDE is my choise because of my original start with Linux >_> it can be litle slower than gnome but still I like it better. >_>

Well I'm currently trying out OpenBox, It is a lot easier to install window managers than I previously expected, so I'm gonna take Ohm's advice and try a bunch out before I settle on one. So far I like the simplicity of OpenBox. So far there are just 2 xml file determining the configuration and everything else is handled by a separate application. The WM's I'm considering checking out so far are OpenBox, FluxBox and IceWM

As for Gnome, don't get me wrong, its a well written piece of software, and I'm sure its great for the many people who use and love it. It just has too much to it for me. It just seems to me that I'm trading off the ease of having everything I "need" packaged together for the ability to configure my system to behave exactly how I want it. Plus I'm switching distros so I can play with and figure out exactly what does what on my system, and hopefully learn more about how Linux works. Fortunately I have thanksgiving break coming up Wednesday so I'm going to have plenty of time to play with it.

Openbox or Awesome.

If you want something easy to setup and use, XFCE is great.

Try everything

+1 for openbox, although if you've got a beefy enough system you don't really need to "cut corners" on the GUI (unless you simply prefer a more minimal setup). If resources were not an issue, I would use KDE.

I also recommend OpenBox. Running ArchLinux here, too.

I'm also using PyPanel and wbar.

Edited by Outis