Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
.solo

distributed computing at home

6 posts in this topic

I have quite a few computers running on my network doing various tasks, but a few computers are idle most of the time. I am very interested in some sort of distributed computing solution that will allow me to use the spare processing power from my main desktop. I have done some googling but I can't seem to find anything. I know their are tons of research projects out there doing this with simple applications you download to share your spare processing power when your computer is idle, but I can't seem to find a solution for personal use. I don't want to run clusterknoppix or any other live OS I would like it to run on the existing linux OS. Any ideas?

You can't just use the spare cycles on your other computer to make your main computer faster. It just doesn't work that way. You could build some sort of cluster, but a cluster is useless unless you have the sort of computing suitable for clusters. Chances are, what you're doing isn't. What exactly do you want to do (besides put idles machines to use)? It's not like taping two ninjas together to make one giant ninja, it's like splitting a task up and telling two ninjas to do it, so it's really on for number crunching, ray tracing, etc.

I'd just shut them off and/or get rid of them. I used to have tons of machines, but after I realized I had a ton of machines for the sake of having a ton of machines, I dumped them all. There just wasn't any point in having them anymore.

Only on Binrev would you get a Ninja anology :-)

On the assumption that you just want to try some clustering stuff out for the hell of it. Check out DeepGeek's HPR episode:

http://www.hackerpublicradio.org/eps.php?id=0071

The clustering element (as I understand it) is really about partitioning a comlex problem/application, rather than the OS. In the end it is unlikely that you'll be doing anything sustaintial but learning is a good cause.

One thing to think of is that more computers running = more electricity bill, since we're heading into winter if you normally heat with electricity you have nothing to loose appart from the increase in fan noise.

Cheers.

Mungewell.

You can't just use the spare cycles on your other computer to make your main computer faster. It just doesn't work that way. You could build some sort of cluster, but a cluster is useless unless you have the sort of computing suitable for clusters. Chances are, what you're doing isn't. What exactly do you want to do (besides put idles machines to use)? It's not like taping two ninjas together to make one giant ninja, it's like splitting a task up and telling two ninjas to do it, so it's really on for number crunching, ray tracing, etc.

I'd just shut them off and/or get rid of them. I used to have tons of machines, but after I realized I had a ton of machines for the sake of having a ton of machines, I dumped them all. There just wasn't any point in having them anymore.

I'm well aware taping two ninjas together doesn't make one giant ninja. My question is on splitting tasks from a central computer. I am also well aware there are hardware and software limitations. Have you seen the OpenMosix and ClusterKnoppix projects?

With all due respect, shut them off and get rid of them is a pathetic response mate.

I'm well aware taping two ninjas together doesn't make one giant ninja. My question is on splitting tasks from a central computer. I am also well aware there are hardware and software limitations. Have you seen the OpenMosix and ClusterKnoppix projects?

With all due respect, shut them off and get rid of them is a pathetic response mate.

I have a little DC-Like setup, for streaming multiple streams from a central hard disc setup attached to my main PC.

I run a live radio and internet TV station as a hobby and I download to a central hard drive, like dumb terminals these computers have a small hard drive for running XP lots of memory and processing power, to re-enc0de video.

my main computer controls all of them, that way I dont need to drag out sets of mice, keyboards and monitors just to admin them.

Its a pretty good way to keep my main computer free for doing stuff like downloading torrents and playing online MMOs and etc., because there are 2 hard drives for music and video, and the main one for the box's OS and I notice no slowdown even when the hard drives are being accessed fully.

Edited by IndexPhinger

The ninja analogy was great. XD

Distributed home computing would be great, even though it really doesn't work....

Having a lot of old computers on a home network is kind of dangerous though, isn't it? One of them could have a backdoor I suppose.