XxShadowxXxX

Software Download Site?

12 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of any reliable software download sites? ( For linux or AVG, things of that sort )

I use torrents for big files like Linux ISOs. They're usually must faster than a single-point HTTP or FTP server. For small things like AVG, I usually use the producer's mirrors.

SourceForge is a great place to search for open source software projects.

I use torrents for big files like Linux ISOs. They're usually must faster than a single-point HTTP or FTP server. For small things like AVG, I usually use the producer's mirrors.

SourceForge is a great place to search for open source software projects.

What torrent downloader do you use?

Transmission under Mac OS X, Deluge under Linux, and uTorrent under Windows. Tomato Torrent for OS X isn't too bad, either.

Thanks I used to use Azureus but that was, Fail. Then I also tryed ABC and that was pretty good; But I tryed uTorrent out and it seems great so far.

I don't mean to sound obvious but http://www.download.com is always my first point of call. They have the largest collection of open source software I have ever found. I do use Ares for mp3s and Rapidshare for everything else though.

I know some people don't like having to pay with rapidshare but it's about $3 a month for a safe, reliable and full bandwith service.

I also dislike using torrents as have always found them slow and unreliable in my humble opinion.

SshBlack

Edited by sshblack

http://distrowatch.com/ used to be my number one stop for isos, now I just goto the homepage of the project. Sourceforge.net has alot of great open source software to download. For a torrent client, i use torrentflux.

If your on the western side of the US the University of Oregon State has some fast mirrors of most Linux distros. Kernel.org has reliable fst mirrors as well.

I usually use Utorrent for torrents, with www.isohunt.com

A neat site I ran across the other day that has a lot of neat utilities that I believe to be fully legit: www.nirsoft.net

I believe they're all Windows Utilities however, a lot are key recovery and password recovery tools, some seem to be just neat helpful tools in general.

http://snapfiles.com/

Not a huge vast repository of files, but what is there is usually very good, well documented, and nicely organized. Another nice thing is that they keep shareware/demo separate from freeware, and even allow you to specify "just freeware" if you're browsing or searching.