Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sshblack

Compression of an external drive

5 posts in this topic

I have recently started nearing the limit of my 320gig external drive with video files. I was thinking of compressing the old tv/movies which I won't watch for a while and had a look round google. There is a large selection of software that can do this, but I would like to know if any of you guys would recommend anything good?

I'm just looking to compress simple mp3s and avi files to the smallest they can be while not losing any quality when I un-compress in the years to come.

All suggestions will be gratefully received.

SShBlack

I have recently started nearing the limit of my 320gig external drive with video files. I was thinking of compressing the old tv/movies which I won't watch for a while and had a look round google. There is a large selection of software that can do this, but I would like to know if any of you guys would recommend anything good?

I'm just looking to compress simple mp3s and avi files to the smallest they can be while not losing any quality when I un-compress in the years to come.

All suggestions will be gratefully received.

SShBlack

sorry i cant recomend a program but id look for x-bzip which is nix but saw a linux distro at 150mb compressed to under 11mb

Why not archive them on DVD? then you'll have them which seems to be the problem, they are still portable and you have the space on your hard drive.

Just buy a new HDD. You can get a 500 GB drive for like $60 nowadays.