Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xStArDoMx

Where to start?

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys. Just registered here and wanted to make a post to say hello.

Anyway, I've always been really interested in software, but never had the time to actually learn about it. Now, though, I have a lot of time and really want to put it towards learning about writing code and hacking. Anyone got a good place to start? I was talking to a buddy of mine online and he was telling me if I was going to start to write, to start on C++. Another said that Python would be good. Not too sure though. Any help is great. Thanks.

Ooh, sorry about this post. Just searched that little FAQ in this section and saw a bunch of threads about it. sorry guys!

Hey guys. Just registered here and wanted to make a post to say hello.

Anyway, I've always been really interested in software, but never had the time to actually learn about it. Now, though, I have a lot of time and really want to put it towards learning about writing code and hacking. Anyone got a good place to start? I was talking to a buddy of mine online and he was telling me if I was going to start to write, to start on C++. Another said that Python would be good. Not too sure though. Any help is great. Thanks.

c or c++ would be great to start on its good for hardware or software development

As you find what interests you, you will find what language is most suitable. My only advice is find a language and learn it well, don't hop around with languages. Learn all one has to offer.

Once you learn one language you'll discover how much easier it is to learn a 2nd, and then a 3rd etc.

I realize that this approach may not work for everybody, but here goes:

I started out (deliberately after a little research) programming in C. This gave me some groundwork for later languages by MAKING you do all the dirty work you don't have to do in other languages therefore FORCING you to learn.

Another benefit to starting out in C is that many open source programs are often written in C or C++ (which you can easily pick up after learning C) and can thus expand your learning experience to the real world instead of confining it to textbooks.

Just my two cents anyway :P