Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sshblack

Primary router access.

5 posts in this topic

How do you access the initial router of a broadband connection? I am in a building with about 3 routers all which appear to be secondary to a main router upstairs. How do I access the initial router (the primary router) as typing http://192.168.1.1. will only allow me to access to admin of the secondary routers?

Or have I got this completely wrong?!

I believe this depends on the setup, if the router is outside the subnet or bridged you wont be able to access it through the web server without plugging directly into it or being on the other side of the router. Am I wrong?

Without knowing how addresses in your network are organized, this question is impossible to answer.

You should be able to use some sort of network mapping tool to see what gateways are available and see what ports they have open, such as 80 if they support what you were indicating with the web browser configuration.

If the router that's beyond the first isn't listed there's a good chance it wont be accessible unless you're above it or plugged directly into it, perhaps you could even change your information to static in-order to access it, not sure details.

Edited by friendless

I'm not sure what you mean by secondary router, but it sounds like you're trying to double NAT which isn't the best of ideas.

If the "primary" router has a built in dhcp server then plug a computer directly into it and see what gateway you are assigned.

Actually your best bet is to plan out your network, then configure each router individually before connecting them all.