Colonel Panic

Interesting or amusing computer naming conventions

33 posts in this topic

I know at least a few of you guys are network admins, and I just wanted to bring up the subject of fun and interesting naming schemes for the various nodes on small networks.

Most educational and corporate environments employ rather bland naming conventions, like "room109-03" or "TXHOU-78-5382-PTR04", but a home or small business network admin has the luxury of being a bit more creative with names. Where I went to school, the computer names in the Interactive Media lab were taken from cartoon characters, and in the Science Institute they'd named their PCs after famous scientists and the Macs after famous painters.

I've decided to use the following scheme for the nodes on my own home network. The names are all derived from fictional computers in movies, books or TV shows:

Gibson - my main work machine, named of course after the infamous "unhackable" mainframe from the movie Hackers

Wintermute - my central file server, named after the powerful AI from William Gibson's novel Neuromancer

Skynet - my WiFi SSID, taken from the evil machine intelligence in the Terminator movies

V-Ger - my #1 laptop, named after the extraterrestrial space-traveling superintelligence (that formed around an American space probe) from Star Trek: The Motion Picture

SCMODS - my old laptop, named after a mobile police criminal database (the "State-County-Municipal Offender Data System") from the movie The Blues Brothers

Bambleweeny57 - another laptop, named after the "Bambleweeny 57 Sub-meson Brain", an absurdly powerful quantum computer from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (I was considering using "Deep Thought", but "Bambleweeny" sounds funnier)

FUCKUP - my netbook, named after the "First Universal Cybernetic-Kinetic Ultramicro Programmer", a powerful computer designed to detect conspiracies, from Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus trilogy

MagicMovieMachine - my MythTV box, currently under construction, named after the intelligent multimedia computer from Marlo and the Magic Movie Machine, a Saturday morning TV show that was on when I was a kid in the late '70s - early '80s

If I ever get around to implementing my home security box (the idea is to use webcams, electrical device controls and network tunneling to implement remotely-accessible security functions), of course I'm going to name it HAL9000.

Now all I need is a name for my networked printer.

Anybody have any other ideas for some fun computer naming schemes?

Edited by Colonel Panic

My buddy has an Alienware named Megatron.

My desktop box is called TheBlackPearl because its a conservative black box with only one led (minus the NIC card).

My laptop is TheLocker, another Pirates of the Carribean name. I'm a big fan.

And my old lap is simply named Lappy, seeing as I was less creative back then. ;)

Down here in Southern Indiana where us rednecks and white trash live, we even have names for our cars or anything we use on a daily basis(for the most part.)

Zraith

I name my stuff after various gods..

my Main box is Bhairab, The destructive form of Shiva.. the one that can destroy evil, but the universe gets consumed in the process.

The little AMD 800 box is Cronus.

The router is Loki.

I haven't figured out how to give my Palm TX a network name yet... it just shows up as '*' for some reason.

mine are boring names like office, test, etc. But when I setup a small network for a friend who was a Winnie the Pooh fan, I named the computers after characters and the server was called honeypot.

the server was called honeypot.

That's either a very good or a very bad name for a server!

the server was called honeypot.

That's either a very good or a very bad name for a server!

I thought so too. She did not care and even laughed after I told her what it meant.

Like you... My old desktop computer is called "Gibson" and my wireless router is called "Skynet"

My laptop is "ansitop" (combination of "ansichart"--my handle-- and "laptop")

Where i work, they have various names based upon what the servers are used for. Its a large company, and has changed its naming scheme as someone ALWAYS finds a way to use an inappropriate name. Right now they are famous philosophers, james bond movies, and a standardized naming convention for all new servers. The last set that brought about a change was landmarks/features. From what i understand no one thought that they would be able to find something that was not work friendly. Then one of our female IT managers named one of the servers cleavage. Hence the new standard naming convention...

My desktop machine is named WOPR and when I get it (next week?), my netbook will be WOPR Jr.

Nice.

I'm thinking of changing my main desktop pc name to "Neuromancer" to complement the Wintermute file server.

I'm still trying to come up with a good name for the printer. There must have been some well-known 1960s or '70s sci-fi movie computer that spits out lots of paper tape...

Edited by Colonel Panic

My desktop machine is named WOPR and when I get it (next week?), my netbook will be WOPR Jr.

lulz!

I used to name mine after internet memes and then STDs. Now I just pick random names.

I live in Utah and use the mountain peaks here. There is Farnsworth (named after inventor of T.V.) Ensign, Snowbird, and Antelope

my tv computer is ender

my girlfriends laptop is valentine

my laptop is peter

my eeepc is bean

my server is hivequeen

my router is jane

my old desktop thats not doing anything at the moment will be rooter when I put open solaris on it.

I'm not sure about the rest of the network, but earthlink's DNS servers are itchy and scratchy.

I like the idea of renaming and have started here on my home network. My laptop name is SshBlack so needed more colour based names. Already got "RedQueen" (evil hologram/computer) from resident evil. Now all I need is to come up with 2 more colour names. Any suggestions?

I name all of my computers/networks after stuff in Sci-Fi

Laptop: Wintermute

2nd Laptop: Hal-9000

Desktop: Multivac

2nd Desktop: WOPR

PDA: Neuromancer

WiFi: Skynet

The Deathrow Public OpenVMS cluster I run (http://deathrow.vistech.net) is named after high profile serial killers. Gein, Dahmer, Manson. At one point, I did a interview with HP World (trade rag) and they begged me to change the name of the cluster/nodes. I told them no way. Either they could do the article or not ; I could care less.

They ran it anyways.

The servers at my school are named of places in WoW. Pretty lame IT department we have ;).

My laptop is shawn-laptop and my dvr is dvrserver

I like the idea of renaming and have started here on my home network. My laptop name is SshBlack so needed more colour based names. Already got "RedQueen" (evil hologram/computer) from resident evil. Now all I need is to come up with 2 more colour names. Any suggestions?

If any of them is an IBM, call it "big blue".

Edited by Colonel Panic

my tv computer is ender

my girlfriends laptop is valentine

my laptop is peter

my eeepc is bean

my server is hivequeen

my router is jane

my old desktop thats not doing anything at the moment will be rooter when I put open solaris on it.

I'm not sure about the rest of the network, but earthlink's DNS servers are itchy and scratchy.

OMG! I was just gonna say that most of my AI's for any purpose are called Jane and anything with connection is Ansible ! But I see I'm not the only fan!

Edited by Xury Xaghirinaee

my phone is called excalibur(it is a s620)

desktop has no name because hard drive failed.( first time hard drive went to crap it was wows fault for not knowing how to program a damn patch correctly)

the new hp visualize workstation has no name yet. (yes i know its not new but im just getting it)

By the way, giving hard drives epic names is also fun.. my half-a-terabyte hdd is called 'eternity'.. I guess it won't be that eternal after a couple of years of torrenting :P

My main network is Skynet

My guest wireless network is Virus Distribution Centre.

My computers have boring names.