Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
criticalmass

good linux distro

13 posts in this topic

what is a good distro to run for a laptop that supports usb. i have tried alot of stuff and it always tells me that it wont open my removable devices. :( anyone got any idea how i can open something like this. i am going to be installing ubuntu i guess.

Slackware 12.1, the 4 gig dvd has everything. I mean you install it, and it's already loaded with useful programs. It's low on memory too.

Sounds like you don't know linux well, so after install if you get stuck in init 3, all you have to do is type init 4 to get the KDE desktop.

This could easily escalate into a flame war, careful.

I've never had Linux on a laptop, but I've had good luck with removable devices on Ubuntu. Thumb drives and my MP3 player (a glorified thumb drive itself) work great.

There are alot of great Linux distro's and alot of bad Linux distro's.

Be careful which one you choose.

In your case I would choose Ubuntu because it has a great community for it that will make learning how to use linux a bit more friendly. :)

As for your USB devices, if you have used them previously on a Windows system, it has been known not to work in linux. To fix this you need to unmount them in windows before plugging them up to your linux computer.

(flame ;) )

Have any of you ACTUALLY used a multitude of linux distros on laptops? If so perhaps you should explain which ones, and which worked best. I've also been interested on putting nix on a laptop, so if anyone has suggestions please elaborate. Since ubuntu has so much support wouldn't it be more likely to support w/e hardware your trying to work with? I'm a nub when it comes to nix. Although I will say I like ubuntu. It's not as bland as a lot of distros, so maybe that makes it unappealing to some, but who knows. Please those of you who have a lot of experience with nix get on this.

i have been using linux on laptops for some time. ubuntu wins hands down with me, more specifically, xubuntu. ubuntu is a live cd, boot from it, see if your usb keys work.

i tried ubuntu and it didnt work for it. told me something like i had to force it to with some command and it didnt work.

Criticalmass be a little more specific.

Dik, I have been running linux for about 3 years now. I have used Ubuntu solely on my laptop for two months now. I have run Ubuntu for 2 years in total including running it on my desktops. Ubuntu has a great KDE interface from the start, is highly customizable (e.g. I like pretty desktops that function) and it has a huge database of software. Ubuntu has a ton of driver support as well. I am not saying Ubuntu is the best, but it suits my needs at the time.

Criticalmass, does Ubuntu function at all for you? If so, just plug it up to an ethernet cable and update it. Most of the time it automatically grabs the correct drivers and automatically installs them. Simple, and easy.

Why else does Dell sell Ubuntu computers? If it wasn't easy to use like windows, then Dell wouldn't sell them.

Windows is idiot proof. Ubuntu is idiot proof. If you can't use Ubuntu, you've got a problem. (no offense intended)

Fedora would be my next recommendation for you.

What are the devices that are not working? Include model numbers if you can.

I've been using ubuntu on my laptop for 3+ years, and xubuntu on my eeepc for almost a year. I have never had any problem with usb storage devices, keyboards, mice, my printer, or my mp3 player. Webcams, and bluetooth dongles were a bit of a struggle, but a google away from working.

When friends of mine switch to linux I always recommend they try a live cd first, to test out all of their hardware. Just some advice for the future.

I've run Linux on laptops for years, and have always found that most distros intended for general use have tended to offer the best hardware support. I've had particularly good luck with RedHat and Mandrake (this was like 8 years ago), and more recently Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I installed slackware on a laptop around that same time and had lots of problems getting all my hardware working, especially the phone modem. After about a week of frustration I switched to RedHat and got it working fine. About 3-4 years ago, I installed Gentoo on an IBM laptop and after significant wrangling I managed to get everything working except for the WiFi card. I currently have a 5-year-old HP laptop running Kubuntu and everything works great, with the exception that the internal Broadcom mini-PCI WiFi card is not supported under Linux and the laptop BIOS will not allow me to install any other card. After significant dicking around with ndiswrapper, I gave up and stuck a PCMCIA WiFi adapter in there and that works fine.

Ubuntu/Kubuntu work great on lappys, with just about everything working right from the get-go. The only kind of hardware I've had serious problems with lately has been internal WiFi adapters.

If there's a problem with Linux seeing your USB storage devices, maybe there's a problem in your /etc/fstab file. Try installing Ubuntu or Kubuntu. If your laptop is old and slow, maybe try Xubuntu instead.

Edited by Colonel Panic

I agree with r4p1d's first suggestion: Slackware 12.1. hands down, my favorite linux distro and I've got it running on my laptop! :D