Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
XxthugstylezxX

xp repair console/ xp repair

11 posts in this topic

Is it normal for XP repair console or the repair feature to not show up when running a xp cd? Are there only certain versions that have this? What am i missing? Basically damn virus ate system files rendering my desktop useless right now. I've rid myself of both spyware and viruses or at least as much as i could, but the computer will not fully boot xp even in safe mode. It will get to the login screen normally and freeze on a blank blue background. Or with safe mode it'll get to mud.sys file loading before it stops. As much as a format would be in my best interest there is way to much i did not back up, and way to much to rebuild. Any thoughts?

I realized this today whilst trying to repair my windows xp. It doesn't allow for it to be repaired without a full new installation. Then I decided I'd do it. As it turns out the repair is misleading and it is not a full installation, it does repair the disk. But it is a good idea to backup your documents regardless. I hoped I helped.

I just dont understand why the repair console, or repair feature works sometimes with some computers, but not all. Also why there is not a bootable cd dedicated to the repair of xp like this that's made by third party. Guess its time to invest in a bigger external. =/

QUOTE (Lord Wud @ Oct 14 2008, 01:59 PM) *

you could try a manual system restore from a recovery console.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

one time i had to walk my girlfriend through that over the phone. not fun.

Wow, you are more of a man than I. I would have told her to wait until i got there.

Yeah, no shit.

So there is nothing more you can do when recovery console, or xp repair wont show up, and windows wont boot fully? Besides the format and reinstall.

Well if its that bad you probably want to back up your data and format anyway. Maybe you can get away with doing the steps in that mskb i linked to but using a bootdisk instead of the recovery console.

I figured it out. It would login with "Use last settings and configurations that worked" it would just run like shit, and if i tried doing anything it would freeze. So i got norton system works 2k7 to run win doctor. Sure enough between that, and ridding myself of a god aweful amount of viruses and spyware it works fine now.