lostbaka

DIY Gas Generator

6 posts in this topic

I was reading the ARRL Emergency Communcation Handbook and there's generator project using a lawn mower engine. I was wondering if anyone has built anything like this? How small and light were you able to get it? There's a closeout store not far from me (National Wholesale Liquidators) and they had some no-name generators. I thought about getting one but decided not to.

I've never built one but you should be able to apply the project design to any gas engine.

If you're looking to make it more portable, maybe consider using a weed whacker engine instead. Of course the amount of power you can produce might be something to consider in a survival situation.

Reminds me of the dynamo generator...

I've seen a 12 Volt generator made using an automobile alternator mounted on the deck of a push mower. A hole was cut in the deck to match the pulley cutout and mounting holes of an old alternator. The blade had been removed and replaced with a pulley, which connected via belt to the pulley of the alternator. Since the old frame of the mower was used, it made it easy to move it around on the existing wheels. Of course, unless you have an old generator or a self-exciting alternator, you'll need some form of storage battery to excite the field windings of the alternator at first -- this can be anything that's rated at the voltage of your alternator (for example, a 12 V motorcycle battery).

EDIT: Apparently this is a pretty common thing. Here's a site:

http://theepicenter.com/tow082099.html

Edited by systems_glitch

if you are interested it is very easy to make a generator. you just need an electric motor (preferebly dc as u would need a full wae rectifier for an ac motor to charge batteries) and 2 big diods to attach to each lead to force the electricicty away from the motor so if the current in the batter eventually over built the power of the turning force the motor would try to turn. and the motor should be close to the power of the power source or it will wreck the electric motor and have bad output inless it is an alltenator but they will still put out low power if u use like a car motor so put more motor on the gas one.. the motor should also not be the kind that spins low that are used in electric cars. you can power it with wind, gas, steam, people, hamsters, rat traps, black powder, kno3, a hard drive :borg: (the spinning kind), and a drunk hill billy hopped up on d.m.s.o.. (can be powerd by anything that you can convert into mechanical motion in a cylindrical fashion) the diodes should be enough voltage and current that the electric motor will output.

edit: yes i know bad jokes, spelling and the information is not in any certain order i edited many many times because i was bored and it was 4:25am.

Edited by dinscurge