adios

Archiving a forum?

8 posts in this topic

I just thought it would be very cool if a non admin user could archive the contents of an entire forum. I'm just curious to know, I've got this forum I like and figured it'd be awesome to have all its information safely stored on my hard drive. Is it possible someway for me to go in and completely pull down the entire forum and save it to my own personal disk? Not Binrev, but another cool forum that may possibly go down.

Have you tried something like wget, HTTrack, or Black Widow to mirror the site locally?

They take a little playing around and reading the help files to get desired results. Once you get the hang of them they're fairly easy to use.

Edited by tekio

A while back but for a totally different site. I'll give it a shot and post back if it works. I wasn't too sure these worked on forums.

But yeah, HTTrack is beautiful and exactly the thing. It's gonna take a while but I think I can definitely get the job done with this.

Edited by adios

SSH in to the server and export the db with the mysql/other command-line.

SSH in to the server and export the db with the mysql/other command-line.

Yes, if he controls the box or has access to it, just grab the database itself. Otherwise, he will have to write a spider of some kind to grab the contents. Google already does this pretty well. Also, know what you are in for as far as disk space...the binrev forum database is pretty big (for example).

Okay StankDawg, now I'm curious. How big?

It is around 440 MB right now...not huge, but big as far as forums go. I deal with multi-gigabite files on a daily basis, that dwarf this, but as far as forums go, that is pretty good size and would be slow to pull via a spider/bot.

EDIT: Also note that that is just the main forums and doe snot include any of the other databases that we have on the site for other projects or any of the other sites that we host on this box (like docdroppers, hackermedia.org, and hpr).