Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zanoza99

School Internet

8 posts in this topic

Hello.

I'm not very good with networking etc.so I have a couple questions.

Basically, im at a boarding high school, and it has limited internet access. By this i mean it shuts off the internet at 11 pm and turns it back on at 5 am.

The thing is, they don't block it, but actually disconnect it (my comp says a network cable is unplugged every time they shut it off.) Up until recently I thought that there was no way to bypass this, but I found out that for some rooms the internet does not shut off.

What I'm trying to find out is how does the school control this? It has a big campus and i really doubt there is a timer set up all the way in the tech office that has a way of controlling every rooms lan plug.

Another thing I know is that every dorm has its separate lan (iTunes sharing playlists go by dorms), so would this mean that this "timer" that shuts off the internet is located somewhere in the dorm and not in the tech office.

I really want know how this system works, so if anyone here could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

P.S. I don't really want to hear "if your school blocks it, its for a reason etc. kinda stuff. I know its for a reason, but i dont ever go to bed at 11, so I might as well enjoy the internet a little longer".

Also, yes, I know we could put a router in the room that has 24 hour internet, and we did do it, but since there are so many walls, it has very bad range.

Thanks

If they're physically turning off the devices, you can't remotely turn them on. They might be using a socket timer so they don't have to manage it themselves, who knows.

Find the switch they're using. That'll make it easier to tell what's going on.

If they're physically turning off the devices, you can't remotely turn them on. They might be using a socket timer so they don't have to manage it themselves, who knows.

Find the switch they're using. That'll make it easier to tell what's going on.

Do you mean like physically finding the switch that shuts it off? Is it possible for this to be done from the tech office (different building). Because if it is located there I most likely can't get in there, but if it is somewhere in the dorm then I can look for it.

Look in your dorm, find out where all those network cables lead to. There's gotta be something in the same building as you. That said, I don't advocate messing with someone else's equipment. What I do advocate is you getting a better idea of how your network is setup.

Edited by Seal

maybe you should try to sneak in another internet connection some how. Maybe make friends with someone that lives near by and setup a wifi connection to them. Or get a cellular internet service. I smell the potential for profit here.

It is possible they are using MAC access control. This would mean they could tell the router to disable internet access for all machines except for machines with certain MAC addresses they have chosen.

chances are that they are using a firewall or some sort to block certains ports