0mega24

Getting back at a scammer

16 posts in this topic

My girlfriend has been trying to sell her car on Craigslist and has recieved an offer involving the "buyer" sending her a check for much more than the car's worth, and having her cash it and Western Union a large portion of the money to the "shipper" so they can pick up the car. My initial instinct was that the check would bounce a few weeks later and she would get the shaft so I had her contact the company issuing the check and lo and behold, they had a bunch of check's stolen and have had to close the account.

Now she is receiving emails from the same guy using different addresses (the guys shitty grammar and capitalization are unmistakable) and has received another fraudulent check from a different company in a different state.

I have at least 2 if not three email addresses from this guy (gmail and yahoo), Two fraudulent checks, and two shipping envelopes presumably with forged shipping information. My question is how do I get this guy?

Good call, I have contacted them, but I was wondering if there was a way I could get a bit more personally involved. I'm taking quite a bit of offense to this, and he is clearly very very stupid, and it would bring me oh so much joy to royally put the screws to him. Perhaps any vulnerabilities in gmail so I may get some real personal info to forward on to the authorities, or even something a bit more creative.

Good call, I have contacted them, but I was wondering if there was a way I could get a bit more personally involved. I'm taking quite a bit of offense to this, and he is clearly very very stupid, and it would bring me oh so much joy to royally put the screws to him. Perhaps any vulnerabilities in gmail so I may get some real personal info to forward on to the authorities, or even something a bit more creative.

Someone didn't read the forum rules.

My bad, I'll take more care to word my future posts correctly. Thanks for your time.

Man, I wish I could help you. But the FBI is probably the best way to go. If you received emails from him, the FBI can trace it down with all their powers with ISPs, etc. There's not much you can do. Although I completely feel why you would loooove to teach him a lesson...

FBI would be your best legal bet. Might want to take a look at the e-mail headers too.

You could offer to drive the car to him.. Maybe if the FBI gives a crap, they could do a sting on him.

You could also make a small website listing his. email addresses, name, and details of the scam.

I had to deal with this once when I got a fraudulent check for $48,000USD from Nigeria. I owned my own business at the time. Upon receipt of the check, they hassled me over email for me to cash the check and send the merchandise. I contacted the issuer of the check (in this case, JP Morgan Chase) and asked to verify the validity of the check. I was asked a few questions about it (I don't remember exactly what questions) and they confirmed it was fraudulent. They were able to trace the check back to a ring in Germany. The agent from JP Morgan Chase then transferred me to the Fraud department. I was told to mail it by certified mail the next day (which I did after making a photocopy of the check for my safekeeping). The Fraud department let me know that they were actively working with the FBI on a case linked to my check (and other checks similar to mine that were ran through Russia).

I don't know what came of the investigation. Had I cashed their fraudulent check, I'd still be behind bars. So long story short: contact the issuer of the check and keep a photocopy of the check for your records. Save any and all emails sent and/or received to/from the con artist.

its not a very good idea to take the whole thing personally!!

even that most of the times the tricks or the scammers are stupid as hell, behind them they have ( not all the times) organized criminal groups!

just contact FBI and the company which its name is on the checks!

its not a very good idea to take the whole thing personally!!

even that most of the times the tricks or the scammers are stupid as hell, behind them they have ( not all the times) organized criminal groups!

just contact FBI and the company which its name is on the checks!

Really? When you have a chance to do something creative, GO FOR IT!

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

Maybe you can find a Monty Python Sketch for him to act out.

Man, I feel for you. I'm in the same position wanting to get back at a scammer (as I know they are a scammer, but they do not know that I know it yet). However, realistically, the only thing you can do is waste their time in emails. This can be fun to a certain point, but then it becomes more of a taxation of your time. The FBI won't do CRAP. Don't waste your time. These scammers run free on the internet 24/7 without rules and laws. I just read an interesting post about a guy who was dumb enough to actually wire the scammer $55,000 for a car. The car obviously never arrived. And dude was out a crap ton of money. Anyway, the guy was man enough to write about his own stupidity in hopes to save others. He indicated the he contacted the FBI and other agencies and even had an inside connection inside one of those agencies and they never did a thing.

So my suggestion, save your energies on something more positive like warning others about scammers. Trying to get one over on this guy may prove to be an exhaustive waste of your time. But hey, if you so choose to do something, I'm behind you rootin' for you.

Peace,

R

I'm with the other guys on you going to the FBI. Otherwise, you might do something and the guy puts you behind bars. It sounds messed up, but it can happen. Besides, the FBI has plenty of resources dedicated to just this sort of thing. As for the whole scam thing, your instincts were good and I advise you that prevention is the best medicine. Learn how con artists work, and just keep alert to prevent getting scammed. It's always easier to prevent spending the money than to recover it later. Much easier. If you want to learn more about this stuff, you will do good to read books by Chuck Whitlock, Les Henderson, or Sid Kirchheimer. As for your current case, don't get involved: call the cops, and make sure its the ones that wear suits, not uniforms. ;)

Thanks for all your feedback! I've contacted both companies on the checks and sent them copies of both the check and the shipping envelope, and contacted the FBI via their tips website(unfortunately I have little faith in the suits). I've also received a phishing email who I suspect is from the same guy (that particular address I don't use much and that's the first phishing email I've received), so for shits and giggles I'm gonna download it and see what I can find out. I'll keep you guys posted if I find anything interesting!