shakuni

What info can be obtained just from IP

8 posts in this topic

Not much. They can get your ISP. From hostnames your ISP may use for this IP address and/or databases that match IP addresses with physical location, they can get your approximate location. If you registered a domain name and associated it with this IP address, they can get whatever is in the whois database (which could include your name and home address). But all of these are passive.

Active probes can get more information about your computer. TCP/IP fingerprinting can determine which OS you're running, scans can determine which services you're running, etc. Though with modern home connections, you'd just be probing the router, which may or may not be useful. There are some flaws that potentially could allow someone to probe machines inside the network the router is protecting, then they could perform the same probes (and more) on the hosts in the network.

I once worked for an ISP and they even demanded a court order from "the men in black" before giving up personal info. for accused scum. I might add they were rather quick to give up general demographic and generalized personal information to companies that offered $$$$. Of course it was cleverly disguised by ad execs of better targeting the intended audience.

EDIT: if you want to find more out about someone, getting an email address and learning to SE can go a long way...

EDIT: just wanted to add: if you google the IP sometimes you'll get lucky! I once got some really good info from an old forum where the person posted and logged the ip addresses with the post. Most are DHCP though. Even dedicated connection providers change the ip often enough to make paying for a dedicated ip needful. It is worth a try. Sometimes you will find firewall logs that lead to other interesting endeavors.

Edited by tekio

If you own a large ad/search network you can figure out everything that person searched for, and every website they went to that displays one of your ads.

I knew you could throw it into an ip finder, but I hadn't thought about google! :lol:

if you are lucky enough and you can get some info from the ip or the domain name, like email,owner, post code, etc.... actually later you can find too much info using the info that you acquired before !!!

of course it depends if you are looking at an ip of a US isp and the domain name owner is from the US, that its quite possible to discover a lot!!

or you can post to 4 year old threads with your spammy link that i see you posted in ALL 4 of your posts here...