Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spider993993

Trying to find the Right *Nix OS

19 posts in this topic

Hey, recently got my hands on a laptop for like 2$ at a garage sale, It's not the best but it should be fine for general hacking purposes. This laptop will almost strictly be for hacking and programming, I was wonder which *Nix would be the best for my specs and if their are some that are more "Hacker Friendly".

Specs are:

Dell Latitude

Pentium 2 266MHZ

4 Gig HD

64 Mb RAM (will be getting another 64 to make it 128 once a friend hooks me up)

any help you be appreciated, thank in advance.

I guess debian with fluxbox would be fine. Definitely gnome or KDE would be too much for that machine.

I guess debian with fluxbox would be fine. Definitely gnome or KDE would be too much for that machine.

Sounds good, thanks.

It's a shitty machine but for 2$ i can still fuck around with it.

Thanks for the info

Yeah, I'd go with Fluxbox. Either Debian or Slackware would be a good choice, as far as Linux goes. Any flavor of BSD ought to run fine on that hardware. You might look into finding some really cheap RAM to upgrade the machine with, since you got it for so cheap. With a little more RAM, XFCE would be fine.

OpenBSD, fluxbox.

While I like OpenBSD, there are two big reasons not to use it here. This person seems like a newbie, OpenBSD is not ideal for newbies. That all depends on how much he reads and how persistent he is though. Second is that OpenBSD does have some performance problems. On a 233MHz machine, I'd choose software to make the most of every cycle and byte of RAM. A small Linux distro with a browser like Opera would be a good choice. There are a million small window managers, fluxbox is good but I also use icewm. You'll want a distro that you can strip down easily, that pretty much rules distros like Ubuntu and Fedora out. Debian and Slackware are good choices.

You're going to have to strike a balance between how modern you want the machine to be and how many cycles you actually have to use. As for "hacking and programming," the tools are generally lightweight, so you'll be able to run them all. But it's difficult to use a machine these days without things like web browsers and IM clients. These are the ones that require thought, as they readily use any and all resources available to them.

Xubuntu could be worth trying out. Either putting in more RAM or changing the window manager to Fluxbox or Blackbox would help.

EDIT: I run Debian Etch on a Pentium 120Mhz, 500MB RAM, 12GB HD. Not using or installing X, simple security apps like nmap and Hping3 run well. The box is also set up as a LAMP coding/testing/configuration server. When running apps like Nessus (even from the console only) it is unusable for the most part.

Edited by tekio

You could try DOS 3.1

Lol jking

An older version of slackware should be fine

I could see this turning into another one of those operating system war threads.. :cavalry:

I could see this turning into another one of those operating system war threads.. :cavalry:

Only if someone claims that Vista can run on 64 MB of RAM... :P

Thanks a bunch for the info guys, I am somewhat of a noob when it comes to Linux, I've done "some" work with it at college since I'm studying in CS, and since I don't feel like using my Main PC as a hacking machine ive been shit outta luck with little money to spend on a good laptop. This information should help me a lot i will probably try multiple suggestions and see what works best for me.

I will be getting a total of 128 mb's of RAM and if i find good prices i might see if i cant get it up a little higher.

Thanks again, time to go burn some CD's.

Xubuntu could be worth trying out. Either putting in more RAM or changing the window manager to Fluxbox or Blackbox would help.

EDIT: I run Debian Etch on a Pentium 120Mhz, 500MB RAM, 12GB HD. Not using or installing X, simple security apps like nmap and Hping3 run well. The box is also set up as a LAMP coding/testing/configuration server. When running apps like Nessus (even from the console only) it is unusable for the most part.

Instead of installing xubuntu to then install fluxbox, he could use fluxbuntu which as you guessed, comes with fluxbox instead of XFCE.

try something like slax or arch and as a window manager iceWM.

i have a machine like that with an old mandrake installation and icewm and is working fine!

you can definately try an old slack distro with fluxbox.

Haha and if you wanna be Ub3r l33t, run it in full on text mode! :lol:

You could try DOS 3.1

Lol jking

Why an older one?

Also, if you're a newbie slackware might be a bit much at first, ArchLinux is a much gentler introduction.

You could try DOS 3.1

Lol jking

Why an older one?

Also, if you're a newbie slackware might be a bit much at first, ArchLinux is a much gentler introduction.

I agree on the ArchLinux.

[off-topic]

And hold it, is this int from IL? I just realized who I was quoting. Hotdog Water here.

[/off-topic]

Edited by Outis

Only if someone claims that Vista can run on 64 MB of RAM... :P

*Cough*

The minimum hardware requirements for Windows XP Professional include:

• Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)

• At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)

Not really, I would probably agree with fluxboxens.