Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

Android came out!

17 posts in this topic

As you may know, the long awaited Google Operating System for mobile devices Android came out today. Get the SDK and development tools such as the Android emulator. I'm currently compiling the emulator for Linux. Android runs a Linux 2.6.25 kernel. The emulator is not available for Windows, only for Linux and Mac OS X at this time.

downloads

Documentation and other downloads

The documentation shows how you can write Java apps for Android. The SDK is available for Linux, Windows and Intel Mac

Google also organizes a "Android Developer Challenge" with prizes in money.

so i set up elipse, copied the hello world and ran the emulator, it didnt seem to work. finally the phone in the emulator booted and allowed me to use it. that is going to get annoying.

so i set up elipse, copied the hello world and ran the emulator, it didnt seem to work. finally the phone in the emulator booted and allowed me to use it. that is going to get annoying.

I tried to make a program in it, but it seemed to encourage bloated code. The SDK that I remember was simply too complicated to use and developing even a simple application was frustrating because of the shear amount of code you had to write using the poor documentation.

There's also this: http://www.openmoko.com/

Edited by WhatChout

I think it's lame, they use Linux as a kernel.. but disallow any native applications, it's just some Java crap that's totally useless.

This project is full of fail.

Java sucks.

I think it's lame, they use Linux as a kernel.. but disallow any native applications, it's just some Java crap that's totally useless.

This project is full of fail.

Java sucks.

I'll wait to see more reviews, the first phone that has it only came out a few days ago. I agree Java is not always a good solution, but for phones Java makes perfect sense, as phones differ a lot from one to the other, both on the software and hardware side. That's where the easiness of Cross-Platform programming with Java comes handy. I mean, if this can eventually beat the iPhone, it would be nice.

I agree Java applications are often slow compared to applications that are compiled natively.

..I mean, if this can eventually beat the iPhone, it would be nice...

Even they allow native applications, granted with a flawed "signing" requirement.. i.e: Apple Store run by nazi ninjas.

But, you can run always jail break it, run OpenSSH, turn it into an interesting BSD powered device...

Anything running Android is a crippled Java platform... we've seen that already, it's old news.... there are cheaper, less locked down phones out there that allow native applications, they'll always be better then a Java-Phone.

As I said, Android is full of lame.. don't deny it. ;)

..I mean, if this can eventually beat the iPhone, it would be nice...

Even they allow native applications, granted with a flawed "signing" requirement.. i.e: Apple Store run by nazi ninjas.

But, you can run always jail break it, run OpenSSH, turn it into an interesting BSD powered device...

Anything running Android is a crippled Java platform... we've seen that already, it's old news.... there are cheaper, less locked down phones out there that allow native applications, they'll always be better then a Java-Phone.

As I said, Android is full of lame.. don't deny it. ;)

Oh well... doesn't look so nice after all. Maybe it will in the future.

umm last time I checked first android phone is coming out Oct. 2nd. oh also Android has known flaws in it's java.

The only reason that the iPhone can run native apps is because it's locked down to one architecture. Android is going to be used on all types of phones; I just don't see it being reasonable or efficient to try to develop apps natively.

But yeah, Java sucks. Every Java application I've ever used on the desktop has been painfully slow and unresponsive. Surprisingly the Java programs on my mobile phone run pretty smoothly, though. How Sun managed to make their VM run quickly on a $25 cell phone but not a $900 laptop is something I'll never be able to figure out.

The only reason that the iPhone can run native apps is because it's locked down to one architecture. Android is going to be used on all types of phones; I just don't see it being reasonable or efficient to try to develop apps natively.

But yeah, Java sucks. Every Java application I've ever used on the desktop has been painfully slow and unresponsive. Surprisingly the Java programs on my mobile phone run pretty smoothly, though. How Sun managed to make their VM run quickly on a $25 cell phone but not a $900 laptop is something I'll never be able to figure out.

They work hand in hand with the hardware companies to optimize it the better they can.

They work hand in hand with the hardware companies to optimize it the better they can.

Java doesn't suck, it's the programmer that doesn't know how to code it efficiently.

yeah i booted android on my openmoko freerunner few days ago neat stuff theres a few demo's of it on the freerunner on youtube but i'm having more fun with things like ettercap on my freerunner ;) ghettotooth etc

abb6b29eefcd835b791fe0f7498853f1.png31e15576d6c86e722e6600bf5f7103ff.png

Edited by JimmyRidge

you would be able to run native apps but google sucks and they just made gentoo crappy i mean if you boot it, it has a powered by gentoo splash at the end of the android kernel boot, and they disabled like everything and decided to be lazy and make you use touch screen so cant use vi thats already on android.

edit: if you use a windows mobile device and boot android of a sdcard you have access to the comand prompt which is wierd.. but google released android for use with windows mobile devices that have touch screen (or not but they you have to write drivers for arrows and modify android to accept a mouse..)

Edited by dinscurge

this sounds really interesting but kind of over my head. i have been searching for a new phone lately, though, and would put the freerunner on my christmas list if it weren't so expensive. any way to get one cheap, or good places to look?